Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-13-2005, 06:22 PM

Default ($22) Stop N Go here?

This is a move I have very little experience with, is this a good spot? UTG is not a solid player.

PartyPoker - NL Texas Hold'em $20 Buy-in + $2 Entry Fee Tournament | Level: 6 - 5 players (Converter: PGC)

Chip Counts:
Button: 510 Chips
SB: 2100 Chips
<font color="red">Hero: 935 Chips</font>
UTG: 2740 Chips
CO: 1715 Chips

Hero is BB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Blinds are 100/200

PreFlop
<font color="red">UTG RAISES ($400)</font>, <font color="blue">CO folds</font>, <font color="blue">Button folds</font>
<font color="blue">SB folds</font>, <font color="green">Hero Calls</font>

(2 players) FLOP: 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ( Pot Size: 900 Chips )
Hero is All-In
Old 12-13-2005, 06:41 PM

Default Re: ($22) Stop N Go here?

I don't like it. Is an UTG minraise more likely to be weakness or strength?

I don't think A5o is a good stop'n'go hand either.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:58 PM

UTG has been playing a lot of hand and min raise is pretty standard. I think his range if fairly wide here.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
UTG has been playing a lot of hand and min raise is pretty standard. I think his range if fairly wide here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know. It's a tough spot to be in. I guess stop-and-go is as good as anything else. A5 just sucks here because it's so often dominated.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:54 PM

bump
Old 12-13-2005, 09:14 PM

IMO, the biggest reason NOT to stop-and-go is your lack of fold equity post flop. If I'm counting right, you have about T500 left and the pot is T900. So if you push, your big-stacked opponent will face nearly 3:1 odds.

Put yourself in his shoes. Unless your UTG raise was a total bluff, what are you folding for 3:1?

The Stop-n-go is perfect in situations where your opponent will want to fold unless he hit the flop hard. Here, he's usually correct to call regardless of the flop. Sorry, I don't like the play.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:15 PM

IMO, the biggest reason NOT to stop-and-go is your lack of fold equity post flop. If I'm counting right, you have about T500 left and the pot is T900. So if you push, your big-stacked opponent will face nearly 3:1 odds.

Put yourself in his shoes. Unless your UTG raise was a total bluff, what are you folding for 3:1?

The Stop-n-go is perfect in situations where your opponent will want to fold unless he hit the flop hard. Here, he's usually correct to call regardless of the flop. Sorry, I don't like the play.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:47 PM

I really prefer to stop and go with a pocket pair and not a weak Ace. I've seen many a big stack call my post flop pushes with their AK or AQ overcards, so if they do that to you, you are in deep doo doo.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:51 PM

Hmmm... would you call with overs here getting 3:1?
Old 12-13-2005, 09:54 PM

If your gonna play the hand, then stop and go is the way to go. It all depends if you really think A5 is too good to fold. I'd prob fold this preflop because A5 sucks even against a large range like you described. If it were A8+ then I'd sotp and go.