Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

View Poll Results: Raise or check
Check 7 63.64%
Raise 200 4 36.36%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-13-2005, 06:11 PM

Default Re: Have aliens visited earth?

[ QUOTE ]
It does seem kinda vain to think that we're the only populated planet in the universe, but it seems highly unlikely that we'll ever see any evidence to the contrary.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just how confident do you feel about this statement? I think you underestimate just how awesomely unpredictable the effects of advances in science and technology tend to be.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
id say its probable for other intelligent life to exist somewhere. getting here is highly unlikely.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, the conditions for life to exist are extremely rare. Life as we know it is extremely fragile and it appears, based on probabilistic arguments, that the conditions for life to exist are not that common in the universe. Microbes quite likely exist in abundance but complex life not. This argument was first set forth in the book Rare Earth: Why Complex Life is Uncommon in the Universe by Peter Ward, Donald Brownlee.

[/ QUOTE ]

even if its uncommon tho, the incredibly vast number of other stars/planets in the universe means its pretty likely its happened elsewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't make sense. If it's uncommon it's not likely to have happened. Moreover the probability of a planet supporting life can be so small that even given the vast number of planets in the universe the expected number of planets supporting life can still be small. Say for example there the probability that planet supports life is 10^-15 and there are 10^9 planets in the universe. It doesn't matter how close these numbers are to the actual numbers the point is this: the expected number of planets supporting life is 10^-15 * 10^9 = 10^-6 = 1/1000000.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Moreover the probability of a planet supporting life can be so small

[/ QUOTE ]

Human life, or like, alien life?
Old 12-13-2005, 06:30 PM

I don't understand why so many people seem to believe that just because a planet doesn't have A)water and B)exactly the same temperature as earth they automatically come to the conclusion that life there is impossible, of any kind. Who's to say "aliens" can't live in extremely hot or cold(both very relative words to use aswell) enviroment, or be drinking something other than water? Or even need to drink at all? Maybe some of them are living purely off of gas or whatever, how the heck could we know?

As to the other question, I really believe we are "being watched/visited" if that's how you wish to describe it, and "they" just don't feel like we're ready to start communicating with them on a "public" level. And I really don't blame them, our society is very poorly developed in all kinds of ways, I mean, we're still killing eachother all over the world all year around, who's to say we wouldn't (sooner or later) attempt to kill "aliens" if they entered our world?
Old 12-13-2005, 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
id say its probable for other intelligent life to exist somewhere. getting here is highly unlikely.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, the conditions for life to exist are extremely rare. Life as we know it is extremely fragile and it appears, based on probabilistic arguments, that the conditions for life to exist are not that common in the universe. Microbes quite likely exist in abundance but complex life not. This argument was first set forth in the book Rare Earth: Why Complex Life is Uncommon in the Universe by Peter Ward, Donald Brownlee.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is another book called Probability 1 that makes the exact opposite argument. Both arguments are flawed by probabilistic calculations that ultimately contain a complete guess somewhere in their formulas.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:14 PM

This article certainly made me wonder, especially when considering a person "in the know", the former Canadian Minister of Defence and Deputy Prime Minister, seems to believe.

(excerpt)"OTTAWA, CANADA (PRWEB) November 24, 2005 -- A former Canadian Minister of Defence and Deputy Prime Minister under Pierre Trudeau has joined forces with three Non-governmental organizations to ask the Parliament of Canada to hold public hearings on Exopolitics -- relations with “ETs.”

By “ETs,” Mr. Hellyer and these organizations mean ethical, advanced extraterrestrial civilizations that may now be visiting Earth.

On September 25, 2005, in a startling speech at the University of Toronto that caught the attention of mainstream newspapers and magazines, Paul Hellyer, Canada’s Defence Minister from 1963-67 under Nobel Peace Prize Laureate Prime Minister Lester Pearson, publicly stated: "UFOs, are as real as the airplanes that fly over your head."

Mr. Hellyer went on to say, "I'm so concerned about what the consequences might be of starting an intergalactic war, that I just think I had to say something."

Hellyer revealed, "The secrecy involved in all matters pertaining to the Roswell incident was unparalled. The classification was, from the outset, above top secret, so the vast majority of U.S. officials and politicians, let alone a mere allied minister of defence, were never in-the-loop."

Hellyer warned, "The United States military are preparing weapons which could be used against the aliens, and they could get us into an intergalactic war without us ever having any warning. He stated, "The Bush administration has finally agreed to let the military build a forward base on the moon, which will put them in a better position to keep track of the goings and comings of the visitors from space, and to shoot at them, if they so decide."

Hellyer’s speech ended with a standing ovation. He said, "The time has come to lift the veil of secrecy, and let the truth emerge, so there can be a real and informed debate, about one of the most important problems facing our planet today."(end excerpt)

The article goes on to talk about the implications of weaponizing space, and a possible space-weapon-ban treaty, and then concludes:

(excerpt)"...In early November 2005, the Canadian Senate wrote ICIS, indicating the Senate Committee could not hold hearings on ETs in 2005, because of their already crowded schedule.

“That does not deter us,” one spokesperson for the Non-governmental organizations said, “We are going ahead with our request to Prime Minister Paul Martin and the official opposition leaders in the House of Commons now, and we will re-apply with the Senate of Canada in early 2006.

“Time is on the side of open disclosure that there are ethical Extraterrestrial civilizations visiting Earth,” The spokesperson stated. “Our Canadian government needs to openly address these important issues of the possible deployment of weapons in outer war plans against ethical ET societies.”(end excerpt)

I for one don't see how we could win a war with extraterrestrials If ETs have the technology to travel here over light-years of space-time, we very likely would have no chance of defeating them and their highly advanced technologies if it should ever come to intergalactic war.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2005/11/inktomi314382.php
Old 12-13-2005, 09:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think if aliens did come to earth, theyd have the technology to make it so that we never saw them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard people make this argument before, and I've always wondered what it would matter to them if we saw them? It's not like we'd be any sort of threat to them.

[/ QUOTE ]

probably because if we did see them, it would be the most significant event in human history. If there was undeniable proof that intelligent life was visiting this planet, it would cuase an uproar like nothing thats ever happened before.

If there is someone "watching" us it would make sense that they wouldnt want to be seen, because it would be traumatic and alter our course of history. I guess they might not care about that, but it just seems semi logical they would
Old 12-13-2005, 10:21 PM

Old 12-13-2005, 10:22 PM

Many times, brother, many times.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

even if its uncommon tho, the incredibly vast number of other stars/planets in the universe means its pretty likely its happened elsewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't make sense. If it's uncommon it's not likely to have happened. Moreover the probability of a planet supporting life can be so small that even given the vast number of planets in the universe the expected number of planets supporting life can still be small. Say for example there the probability that planet supports life is 10^-15 and there are 10^9 planets in the universe. It doesn't matter how close these numbers are to the actual numbers the point is this: the expected number of planets supporting life is 10^-15 * 10^9 = 10^-6 = 1/1000000.

[/ QUOTE ]

I met an alien once, his name was Pablo. Therefore you must be wrong.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]