Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 12-11-2005, 02:50 AM

Default River Value Bet

When you're playing against passive players how do river value bets affect your image? Even loose guys will sometimes tighten up. Or some tight guys will temporarily loosen up when they think they're being pushed around.

I've read somewhere before, probably here, that restraining from using a river value bet and letting fish see your cards for free encourages them to play loosely in the future. Some people just take the game personally, I guess. What do other people think about this subject? As a general rule, is it true?
Old 12-11-2005, 02:56 AM

Default Re: River Value Bet

Bet the river. Seriously. Don't miss value bets. Most people you play with forget what you showed down 2 hands later. Must...value...bet.

-Jaran
Old 12-11-2005, 03:03 AM

I'm talking shorthanded, when you play a lot of hands with the same people. I've seen passive players catch on to some strategy. They'd have to be paying no attention not to.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've read somewhere before, probably here, that restraining from using a river value bet and letting fish see your cards for free encourages them to play loosely in the future.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, did you just say that you should not bet winners so people will call you down more?
Old 12-11-2005, 03:11 AM

If you always bet winners and you're playing against people who catch on, you're forcing them to play tighter. How does river value betting at that point become profitable? Those people will probably start folding more. When you say always bet winners, do you mean to say that all bad players never think?
Old 12-11-2005, 03:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When you're playing against passive players how do river value bets affect your image?

[/ QUOTE ]

Muh what?

Bet the river. Unless you are OOP with nothing, then c/f.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:58 AM

I want to post this hand that has a river value bet, but my history is from Pacific and the hand history format is really weird. The bisonbison hand converter won't work.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you always bet winners and you're playing against people who catch on, you're forcing them to play tighter. How does river value betting at that point become profitable? Those people will probably start folding more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Opponent: "Hm, that guy just checked an obvious winner. Therefore, I should call him when he bets!"

Opponent: "Hm, that guy just checked an obvious winner. Maybe he only bets the nuts? I'll be careful about calling him with weak hands."

Which one makes more sense?