Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-11-2005, 01:04 AM

Default The Dilemma

New to table, probably 3 orbits. Players are all in the 25-40/10-20 range. Unknown for the most part though.

All the calls here make it look pretty weak. No one is trying to blow out draws, so overpair/set doesn't seem as likely.

Who goes passive and takes the good odds and multiway pot calling the flop bet?

Who goes aggro, making the raise in hopes to take it down and falling back on a monster draw?

Explain your reasoning, I'll explain mine later.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

SB ($192.15)
BB ($73.60)
UTG ($402.61)
MP ($223.09)
Hero ($194.80)
Button ($45.05)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $5</font>, Hero calls $5, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB (poster) calls $4, BB calls $3.

Flop: ($20) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $12</font>, BB calls $12, MP calls $12, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $50</font>,
Old 12-11-2005, 01:12 AM

Default Re: The Dilemma

If I dont raise, I cant respect myself in the morning.
Old 12-11-2005, 01:41 AM

make it 65 on the flop, but this is standard and good.
Old 12-11-2005, 01:57 AM

I think it's tempting to raise here... but I think that the pot is small enough that it doesn't matter so much to take it down.

Call. The times you stack someone else who is flushing will more than make up for it.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:06 AM

you need to raise more on that flop. $80 seems good.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:03 AM

I like raising for many reasons. It's pretty likely that you will give yourself a couple of ace outs and you might avoid splitting or losing when you make a straight. It's possible that you will get the made hands to fold, and your ace high may become good. You just have so much value, though, that you want more money in the pot. Raising will mean you are probably committed on the turn, but it will also make it harder for someone to get away after one of your draws hits.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:10 AM

What can a pair of aces do against a hand that calls such a massive flop raise? Check down against pair + OESD/FD?
Old 12-11-2005, 07:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's possible that you will get the made hands to fold

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't think this is accurate based on the betting...i think sets or 2 pair are going along for the ride
Old 12-11-2005, 09:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's tempting to raise here... but I think that the pot is small enough that it doesn't matter so much to take it down.

Call. The times you stack someone else who is flushing will more than make up for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about just low-raising or min-raising? You build your pot since other flushes have to call and you can check for a free card on the turn (if it's a blank) if you don't think you can steal the pot with a bet. With the more money in on the turn you're probably more likely to stack a lower flush if it hits.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:58 PM

CALL THE FLOP. You want players sticking around to hit a second-best hand and pay you off. By raising, you are potentially driving out some of these second best hands.

If you do decide to raise, your raise has be capable of taking the pot right there on the flop.