Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2005, 06:07 PM

Default 200/400 bellagio vs v good player

Same 200/400 as the other post (full table) . A couple hours later and I'm still running good with a very good tight/solid image. The villain in the hand is terry...a local woman who IMO is the best player at the table(and i'm either 2nd or a close third...so it's a decent game for 2 and 4). I know she respects my play quite a bit by a few comments she's made and we really haven't banged heads much yet. I've 3 bet her in position a few times and she's check/folded the flop. She hasn't been doing this vs other players so I think she thinks I'm pretty tight but maybe it's just the cards she's gotten vs me.

She opens in the CO which is no suprise(she opens a lot of hands...), especially on my blind. I've been givin it up pretty easily this session as the situations just haven't been right.

Folded to me in the BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and I 3 bet. This is the 2nd time I've put a raise in out of the blinds and the last time I had kings and showed it down.

She calls.

Flop J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I bet, she raises, I call.

Turn 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] I bet, she raises, I insta 3 bet.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:18 PM

Default Re: 200/400 vs v good player

Yah, that looks good. 3 betting preflop given the situation seems to make it much easier to beat ace high. The stop and go seems right since you don't want her checking behind the turn nor do you want to just go off on the flop where her pair and spade hand isn't actually giving your top pair any money. Given that she raises the turn, I think the 3bet is clearly right as you should be well ahead of her range of hands here.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:22 PM

Default Re: 200/400 bellagio vs v good player

in my experience players dont semi bluff raise twice. david even writes this in hpfap. on the turn your donk looks like your protecting a solid made hand. her raise says she can beat a solid made hand. your generally losing at this point no reason to 3 bet but the pot is big enough to call down.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:03 PM

The turn bet is excellent IMO but I agree with Limon that 3 betting the turn is a bit dicey. It's a great 3 bet if she will then drop a hand with a medium ranking spade in it but I don't think she will. It can also be a great 3 bet for some metagame purposes. But overall, getting popped twice in one hand is not good news.

If you think she is doing the old "raise turn, go for free river showdown play", you could foil that plan somewhat by betting the river assuming it's not a spade. Of course, if she pops you again and wins, you would be a reverse trifecta victim.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:48 PM

Hi BK,

I hate your 3 bet preflop against a top player. You are out of position and will miss most times.

I don't like your flop aciton, either. 3 bet and lead the turn. Then, call if raised. I'd check call any river, unless it's a non-spade K. A non-spade J is closer.

One main problem with being out of position in headsup battles is you don't get that bet on the end that you can often get in position. Too bad.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate your 3 bet preflop against a top player. You are out of position and will miss most times.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I tend also to usually just call for the reasons you state, many would argue (somewhat forcefully) that because both players will miss most times, it's important to 3 bet and seize the initiative.

I would call 60% and 3 bet 40%. Maybe it's 65/35...whatever
Old 12-02-2005, 09:05 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if there is a reason to just call preflop its to checkraise most flops. i dont understand how "it will miss most times" is an argument for calling with KJ against someone who is presumably raising like 40-50% of her hands. obviously just calling and letting it go if he misses is sub-optimal. so what is your plan when you just call? how much attacking do you do on the flop?

i think good K high hands are the best non-premium hands to 3-bet in this spot. you have good HU equity and you take initiative against A/K high or small pairs and put the burden on them to flop good. if he has 33 and the flop is A97, she will fold to a bet, whereas bk wouldve had to check fold because he missed (and a checkraise on the flop basically screams "I don't have an A"). likewise, if the flop is something like T87 or Q98 it is hard for A high to continue if she hasnt paired her kicker.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:15 PM

put urself in her shoes. it seems like she's tryin to get a lot of bets in, but not scare you off too much. I think it's bare minimum AsJ, possible overpair, or even flush.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:15 PM

I like it. I wish I played hands like this more myself.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:24 PM

BK,

Do you do this for the chance she'll fold AJ or other better hands to your 3bet?