Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-02-2005, 09:37 AM

Default Re: 2 Big calls...donkey or pro?

Thank you all for feedback, here is my thought process for both hands..

hand 1-> flop bet with flush draw..possibly knocking button's overcard/ pairs below Qx w/e.. 3 handed so I think semibluff was okay.

This may sound lame, but I ment to bet more on turn, but I made a typo and didn't have time to fix it because 3 other tables were beeping lol.

On river, the bet really didn't make sense to me...I thought he is more likely to make a valuebet with a hand strong as he's representing, and likely to have raised me on flop, turn bigger too. so being a suspicious calling station I am, I called, and was shown 57h and MHIG.

Hand 2)
Basically, I reasoned that both flush/straight draws missed, and thought it is unlikely 2 pair, set or straight would not just flat call on flop/turn, and then by the river, I thought he really wouldn't wait to board pairing to shove 2 pair or straight, so I concluded he either had REALLY slowplayed set (quite unlikely) or missed draw.

Being a Stu-unger I am, I make the call and get shown A2d and I cry. However, I think calling here with maybe AJ or better still may be a good play for reasons I stated...looks like I donked it majorly because of chance of him value-bluff raising me with missed Ax, which was exactly the case.

Overall, I'm happy I'm developing the courage to run all the way home with the reads, but I also feel that my reads are sometimes rather irrational time to time because of this Stu unger attitude of making heroic calls. I'm clearly in need of much more dicipline in terms of not just putting other guy on a bluff, and also having a hand that could beat these bluffs.

once again, thank you all for feedback.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:46 AM

You are gutsy if nothing else. You made the right read in both hands, however with hand 1 you did beat his bluff, and with hand 2 two you did not.

Unfortunately, and obviously you know this, but when someone moves all-in, you can't immediately call just because you know he is bluffing. You need to beat that bluff. And if they are bluffing with the best hand (a low pair, or ace high in this case), you better watch out.

The last time I played a home tourney with my dad, everyone limped and I pushed from the BB with AKo. He called fairly quickly with KQ because, he "thought I was bluffing".

You may be correct once in a while with a move like that, but in the end it's probably a losing call since I could be "bluffing" with a better hand (like A2 or any small pair), or...the read could be totally off and I have you crushed.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:59 AM

On the first hand, his turn play is so wierd that I would not know what to do with it, but in my experience the turn minraise followed by big river bet is the goods more often than not.

On the second one you could be right and still lose- maybe you are not actually the hero?

So basically I don't like either hand.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:52 AM

hand 1 is awful.
hand 2 i dont love, but i dont mind it... its better if u win, but even if u lose, calls like this are extremely good 4 your image.