Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 05:04 PM

Default Collecting Vinyl

Given that I really have no hobbies, I figured I'd expand on my love of music by actually collecting vinyl. Besides EBay, is there anywhere I should look? If you've ever followed my thoughts on music, you know I'm a big indie kid so I'll be looking for newer stuff. Although having newer LPs is important, old stuff is cool too (almost purchased a Big Star #1 Record and Ziggy Stardust LP but figured I didn't want to start my record colletion with albums that were merely great but with an album that means something to me). Anyway...If you guys know any websites, that'd be grand.

And you NYC guys, I'm a village kid, so I'm familiar with like Kim's, Sounds, etc. but are there any other places I should be going to? I'll also be stopping in at Earwax in Williamsburg, but whatever...

Also, although I have a record player, it's handed down, so if you guys know any sweet record players, let me know about that too.

Spanks.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:10 PM

Default Re: Collecting Vinyl

I collect vinyl from the '60's and 70's....old classic rock f'in rules. I usually get my stuff from antique stores where the sellers have no idea how much their stuff is worth and mark it down cheap as hell. As for newer stuff, I'm sure someone can lead you in the right direction. Virgin Megastore is a good place to start.

Best Buy sells 2 record players- one that is $100 and one that is $120. Go for the $120 one, me and many of my friends have this same one and none of us has ever had problems with it.

Good luck and enjoy collecting.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:12 PM

GEMM

PREX
Old 12-01-2005, 05:25 PM

Best to get a direct drive turntable, as in a "DJ" turntable. If you are serious, Spend the $500 and get a Technics 1200. Youll have it for the rest of your life.

Check out Turntable Lab in NYC for good prices.

When I buy music its mostly vinyl, but Im not a collector. My hobby is DJ'ing, so I mostly buy what I like or what I can throw on at a Party. That being said, I have no idea about indie rock/modern rock (Im a Soul/Funk/R&B/Rap/Jazz fan), so I cant recommend any stores per say. What I will say is buy what you like, NOT what is expensive and a collectors item. Much more enjoyable that way.

One spot Id recommend though, is this crazy homeless dude in the LES, on Chrystie St. (I Think), somewhere between Houston and Delancy. He has this tiny space and records all over the street. If you persevere and have an afternoon to look through the 1000's of LP's haphazardly strewn around in no particular order you can find some gems. I find great stuff on the street, and Ive also found awesome stuff in the garbage. Keep your eyes open. Searching out records is 85 percent of the fun.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:08 PM

Thanks guys. I just went through my 'rents record collection and am currently stealing their Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, and Black Sabbath albums, in addition to some other albums that may or may not be embarassing to be stealing (er...Phil Collins comes to mind, but that's an inside joke between me and a friend).

IOMMI!
Old 12-01-2005, 06:12 PM

I'm guessing you have a pair of Technics...I'm getting my turntables very soon. I wanted to get some M3D's, but it's hard to find a pair(even eBay only has a few listings) So I'm going with Numark TT500's.

I think I'm going up to NYC again sometime soon, I'll look for the crazy homeless guy. What are his prices like?
Old 12-01-2005, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm guessing you have a pair of Technics...I'm getting my turntables very soon. I wanted to get some M3D's, but it's hard to find a pair(even eBay only has a few listings) So I'm going with Numark TT500's.

[/ QUOTE ]
Pretty much every piece of Numark equipment I've owned has fallen apart. So far I've heard the TT500's are pretty solid, but I don't trust Numark anymore.

I currently use Tech 1200 MK5's and an Allen & Heath Xone 62. Couldn't happier with this equipment (well, I guess I COULD be happier with the Xone 92, but didn't have $2400 to throw at a mixer).
Old 12-01-2005, 06:39 PM

Location: it\'s like a puzzle with pans. if you think about it.

http://www.cryptrecords.com/

http://www.sympathyrecords.com/catalogue/mailorder.html

http://www.undergroundmedicine.com/

http://www.bomp.com/Mailintro.html

http://www.nortonrecords.com/index2.html

http://www.goner-records.com/cart/in...ex&cPath=2
Old 12-01-2005, 06:46 PM

Yeah, I was originally going to buy Technics, but I started reading about the Numarks, and the TT500's have gotten some very good reviews, I haven't heard anything bad about them. I can buy a pair of new TT500's for what used MK2's would cost me. I'm getting a Pioneer DJM 707 for my mixer.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:27 PM

I collect old blues, Muddy, Howlin wolf etc. I usually find some good stuff at second hand stores, and salvation armies. I also collect rat pack-type lps, these are really easy to find.