Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 04:05 PM

Default so yesterday i just kept hitting the call button

so last night i played some 109s.

i made a decision early on in the evening. it was to play a bit of ye olde accumulator. specifically, any time i'm in one of these spots where someone pushes for 300 behind a dozen limpers at 15/30 and i'm close to closing the action, i just call with some decent calling hands. these include like, KQ, or 88.

so i made perhaps a dozen calls, some in the line of:

whole bunch of limpers to a shorty who pushes
whole bunch of limpers to me, i raise, and a shorty pushes for 3x or 2x my raise
standard trapping of shorties with big hands by me

i ran in to AK once.

it was by far the best hand i saw.

i saw 98o
i saw Q4o
i saw K3s
i saw Q9o
etc

amazingly enough, whenever they had Qx i had KQ, whenever they had 22 i had 88, whenever they had Ax i had AQ, etc. it was lots of fun.

what i wanted to tell people, especially people who play a few extra pots early, is that the wackos are out. if you haven't been noticing the wackos, you're missing out. spite call the [censored] out of them. post your spite calls here!

oh, another one of my favorites are these people who push for their "last 400" at 10/15, and when you call with 88 you're ahead by a mile because they "pushed with Ax to try to double up."

c
Old 12-01-2005, 04:14 PM

Default Re: so yesterday i just kept hitting the call button

[ QUOTE ]
so last night i played some 109s.

i made a decision early on in the evening. it was to play a bit of ye olde accumulator. specifically, any time i'm in one of these spots where someone pushes for 300 behind a dozen limpers at 15/30 and i'm close to closing the action, i just call with some decent calling hands. these include like, KQ, or 88.

so i made perhaps a dozen calls, some in the line of:

whole bunch of limpers to a shorty who pushes
whole bunch of limpers to me, i raise, and a shorty pushes for 3x or 2x my raise
standard trapping of shorties with big hands by me

i ran in to AK once.

it was by far the best hand i saw.

i saw 98o
i saw Q4o
i saw K3s
i saw Q9o
etc

amazingly enough, whenever they had Qx i had KQ, whenever they had 22 i had 88, whenever they had Ax i had AQ, etc. it was lots of fun.

what i wanted to tell people, especially people who play a few extra pots early, is that the wackos are out. if you haven't been noticing the wackos, you're missing out. spite call the [censored] out of them. post your spite calls here!

oh, another one of my favorites are these people who push for their "last 400" at 10/15, and when you call with 88 you're ahead by a mile because they "pushed with Ax to try to double up."

c

[/ QUOTE ]

yep...pretty standard. Just wanted to point out that they arent as "wacko" as they seem. Especially when they are on the short side and 3 or 4 limpers come in. It stands to reason that the first limper will have the best hand in their mind, and, at the same time, will have the most difficulty calling the shorty's push because of the other limpers yet to act. At the same time, the shorty will assume that the "last limper in" will typically have one of the weaker hands of the group, and though hypothetically closing the action if the first three limpers fold to the shorty's push, will have trouble calling because they only limped because of the umbrella effect.

This is why I like limping hands like AQ, 88 etc after a few limpers in midgame when there is a shorty in the blinds. Instead of raising myself, I get many opps to call a short push with some dead money to soften the blow. And like you said, I will often be miles ahead as well.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:14 PM

really? i'd be interested to see the actual HH
Old 12-01-2005, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
really? i'd be interested to see the actual HH

[/ QUOTE ]

the actual hand history of what?

if you want, next time i play i can try to save some of them. but it's not like i'm going to paste the raw text.

c
Old 12-01-2005, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is why I like limping hands like AQ, 88 etc after a few limpers in midgame when there is a shorty in the blinds. Instead of raising myself, I get many opps to call a short push with some dead money to soften the blow. And like you said, I will often be miles ahead as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, i get an extra special glee out of knowing that i've limped a hand "too big" for the last limper and sitting there waiting to get to hit the call button.

what really shocked me was the people pushing over a raise, not just pushing over limpers. they blew my mind.

c
Old 12-01-2005, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, i get an extra special glee out of knowing that i've limped a hand "too big" for the last limper and sitting there waiting to get to hit the call button.

what really shocked me was the people pushing over a raise, not just pushing over limpers. they blew my mind.

c

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a very big distinction between a good player and a noob is being able to guage fold equity correctly. I remember playing like this myself (and hey, I still muff up a push from time to time). Not knowing where to pick you spots, giving up, when youre low on chips is a very big leak.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:34 PM

I'd complain about this post, but if someone tries this to me, I'll most often have them beat.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:36 PM

I make a huge % of my chips pre-bubble by calling idiot shorstacks with hands like A8o and KQ and 77.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd complain about this post, but if someone tries this to me, I'll most often have them beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

well of course there's an element of fun to a post like this one.

you're allowed to advertize here that you're a tag in such spots, but we all know you're a lag at heart, easilly called with QJo.

i think that yeah, there's a big different between a good player and an idiot, who make very similar plays.

c
Old 12-01-2005, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I make a huge % of my chips pre-bubble by calling idiot shorstacks with hands like A8o and KQ and 77.

[/ QUOTE ]

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

MP (t3590)
CO (t1170)
Button (t3980)
SB (t760)
Hero (t2545)
UTG (t1455)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to t1170</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls t1020.

Flop: (t2415) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Turn: (t2415) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (t2415) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t2415

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
CO has 6c Ad (one pair, jacks).
Hero has Ac 8c (two pair, jacks and eights).
Outcome: Hero wins t2415. </font>

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Hero (t2690)
UTG (t3315)
MP (t3310)
Button (t910)
SB (t3275)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t910</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t710.

Flop: (t1920) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Turn: (t1920) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (t1920) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t1920

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has 9c Ad (one pair, kings).
Button has 6c Jd (one pair, kings).
Outcome: Hero wins t1920. </font>