Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2005, 08:17 PM

Default ($22): First hand, top pair on monotone board.

I think my biggest weakness right now is getting pushed off hands a little too easily and not value betting my hand enough. Is this way too passive? My thinking is, I don’t like my kicker to begin with and some people will slow play a made flush here. Knowing how much people love their suited cards, it’s always possible here.

My plan was to check it down and call a small bet on the river if no fourth club came.

PartyPoker - NL Texas Hold'em $20 Buy-in + $2 Entry Fee Tournament | Level: 1 - 10 players (Converter: PGC)

Chip Counts:
Button: 800 Chips
<font color="red">Hero: 800 Chips</font>
BB: 800 Chips
UTG: 800 Chips
UTG+1: 800 Chips
MP1: 800 Chips
MP2: 800 Chips
MP3: 800 Chips
LP1: 800 Chips
CO: 800 Chips

Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Blinds are 10/15

PreFlop
<font color="green">UTG Calls</font>, <font color="blue">UTG+1 folds</font>, <font color="green">MP1 Calls</font>, <font color="green">MP2 Calls</font>, <font color="blue">MP3 folds</font>, <font color="blue">LP1 folds</font>, <font color="blue">CO folds</font>, <font color="blue">Button folds</font>
<font color="green">Hero Calls</font>, <font color="green">BB checks</font>

(5 players) FLOP: 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ( Pot Size: 75 Chips )
<font color="green">Hero checks</font>, <font color="green">BB checks</font>, <font color="green">UTG checks</font>, <font color="green">MP1 checks</font>, <font color="green">MP2 checks</font>

(5 players) TURN: Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ( Pot Size: 75 Chips )
<font color="green">Hero checks</font>, <font color="green">BB checks</font>, <font color="green">UTG checks</font>, <font color="green">MP1 checks</font>, <font color="green">MP2 checks</font>

(5 players) RIVER: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ( Pot Size: 75 Chips )
<font color="green">Hero checks</font>, <font color="green">BB checks</font>, <font color="red">UTG BETS ($225)</font>, <font color="blue">MP1 folds</font>, <font color="blue">MP2 folds</font>
<font color="blue">Hero folds</font>, <font color="blue">BB folds</font>

Final Pot:300 Chips
Old 11-24-2005, 08:22 PM

Default Re: ($22): First hand, top pair on monotone board.

No you played this fine. OOP with A7 on that board, turn, and river is not the time to be going to war with 5 others in the pot.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:04 PM

Agree with your play. No way you hold on to that with that many folks and four spades on board.

Stay tight!
Old 11-24-2005, 09:09 PM

When I play A7 in level 1 against multiple opponents, I consider a flop with an ace as me missing it most of the time. Basically my opponents must say "hey, want this pot?" or I would have some draws for me to want to invest chips.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No you played this fine. OOP with A7 on that board, turn, and river is not the time to be going to war with 5 others in the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:34 PM

Hmmmm, these responses kind of suprised me. I would bet 60 on the turn and not put any more money in the pot after that.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hmmmm, these responses kind of suprised me. I would bet 60 on the turn and not put any more money in the pot after that.

[/ QUOTE ]

With position maybe I would, but I don't know first to act.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:00 PM

Since you decided to play this hand, I would've bet 60-70 on the turn instead of checking. Even though it's only an extra 5 in chips, this is the type of flop that can trouble you when you decide to play hands like A 7 offsuit OOP.

Old 11-24-2005, 11:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And what's your action on the river with 1-2 callers? Check? If someone checks to me showing that kind of weakness, I'm betting enough for them to fold.