Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2005, 01:45 AM

Default Dealing with loose preflop raisers oop with mediocre hands

assume 5/10nl 6max 100bb stacks

say a 30pfr / 13% pfr opens for 3.5bb after it's folded to him, "typical decent aggro" on button

you have KQ~KJish, AQ~ATish hands in sb, your move?

how about 22~88?

I tend to fold KQ/AT, I just can't think of a way to play these with +EV OOP, same goes for 22-66 except I sometimes 3 bet and lead any flops with both these type of hands. I think if you call, you can't expect +EV gain playing these oop after calling.

just wanted to hear what others do in these spots.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:56 AM

Default Re: Dealing with loose preflop raisers oop with mediocre hands

Why can't you call, hit top pair and solid kicker, win a decent sized pot. Or, call with AQ or 66 and totally miss the flop but call down a player if you feel he'd lead with nothing? Also, if he's that aggressive, you'd be wise to try and hit a small set and win a big pot from him. I don't understand why you can't just play the flop, even though it is online. I hate three betting from out of position without a monster. I like taking flops, that is where I'm most comfortable at determining his hand range, etc.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why can't you call, hit top pair and solid kicker, win a decent sized pot. Or, call with AQ or 66 and totally miss the flop but call down a player if you feel he'd lead with nothing? Also, if he's that aggressive, you'd be wise to try and hit a small set and win a big pot from him. I don't understand why you can't just play the flop, even though it is online. I hate three betting from out of position without a monster. I like taking flops, that is where I'm most comfortable at determining his hand range, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

You make this sound so easy! The probably here is that you aren't flopping top pair or even a pair more than half the time with two broadway. Also, with a pocket pair if you want to 'flop a set and win a big one,' you're going to have to call 8 of these raises and fold to 7/8 continuation bets when you whiff the flop. Not to mention, with these types of players, they will slow down at the first sign of your strength.

I personally was thinking about this same thing recently. I've actually decided to tighten up my hand range for calling an openraise in the SB/BB so we'll see how that goes.

Later,
-Ace
Old 11-21-2005, 02:16 AM

I've been thinking about this lately too. It seems like small pairs are -EV because you rarely flop a set and even if you do the raise is generally comming from a mediocre hand that wont pay you off big even if they hit too. If you miss then you're stuck check calling the continuation bet if you think the flop missed them and then giving a free turn/river card that can beat you. Not sure if just folding or reraising is a better strategy... maybe reraise 99+ AQ+ and just fold everything else.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:32 AM

You have to occasionally call, which is probably -EV, because it sets up your reraise -> autobet flop, which is massively +EV. If your only play is to reraise, he's gonna get wise to it and play back at you with his position.

A nice play is to occasionally call with a plan to check/raise any flop.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

say a 30pfr / 13% pfr opens for 3.5bb after it's folded to him, "typical decent aggro" on button

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume you meant 13% pre flop raiser. This is not loose for 6 max.

Defending with these types of hands is one of the most fun parts of 6 max IMO.

Firstly if you are holding
[ QUOTE ]
you have KQ~KJish, AQ~ATish hands in sb, your move?

[/ QUOTE ]

You aren't looking to play a big pot. Either fold now for -$5, or find out if you have the best hand on the flop, or right now.

Most of the time you are just going to call.
If you call you can pot it if low cards appear, and your the type of guy that might have low cards. CR'ing with top pair is nice too, or leading with nothing, top pair, draw and see what's up. Test him out.

Repopping depends on the opponent - Will he always fire the flop? What do I know if he calls me? How good are is opponent..

Something as strong as AQ I reraise. If he calls you and you whiffff the flop, following thru with a big bet is your judegement call.

[ QUOTE ]

how about 22~88?

[/ QUOTE ]
The worse and more aggressive they are, the more I set hunt. The tighter I appear the more I repop.