Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2005, 02:00 AM

Default Re: 44 blind defense

Bet-fold. You're going to see Ace-unpaired kicker calling your river bet a lot.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Check/Calling really sucks imo...If youre checking, you should be folding to a bet...

Personally I like bet/folding

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that check/calling sucks. I think the other 2 are close and maybe wookie is right that it really comes down to reads here. I checked this with the intention of folding, but in retrospect I think a bet may be in order here. I think many typical opponents are going to call-down here with AK/AQ/AT, given the ragged nature of the board. My thoughts with check-fold however, were that it would save me a bet vs a hand like TT or 88. Anyways, I'm rambling.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:07 AM

Ok, not trying to be a smartass but why bother? Reverse implied odds seem terrible if he calls down the whole way with 88 or JT, or even UI overs and hits on the river. What happens when a ten through ace drops on the river, and you are OOP?

I'm not saying fold preflop, but after check-raising the flop and leading the turn, you're in bad shape when there are at least 12 cards of 46 that could help him a lot on the river. The way you played it just seems a little dangerous, I like the bet/fold option on the flop.

However, I can't say your play is terrible either, I've don e this many times (usually when I take the lead preflop though) where I'll push the whole way to the river, just to see someone fold gettin like 10:1 on a call, with no apparent draws on the board. Especially in six max, where donks will call down to the river with absolute sh*t.

Help me with my thought processes here people, I'm not claiming to be the master, just callin it how I see it.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 11-21-2005, 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, not trying to be a smartass but why bother?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're just giving your input, I've got no problem with that.

[ QUOTE ]
Reverse implied odds seem terrible if he calls down the whole way with 88 or JT, or even UI overs and hits on the river. What happens when a ten through ace drops on the river, and you are OOP?

[/ QUOTE ]
While I agree reverse-implied odds are bad on those hands, there are many hands that completely whiffed this flop. If an Ace falls on the turn or river, it's an easy check-fold. All other cards I'll play the same.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:19 AM

You're going to fold the best hand a ton of the time if you bet/fold this flop, especially at a 6 handed table.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:44 AM

anyone like to tell me what exactly is wrong with check/call? this is my totally standard defensive line and has worked well for me.

by checking you induce a bluff from high card hands that hope you have given up. you know the chances are that he has missed that river and will try to stab at it a decent proportion of the time.

betting your only getting called by better hands and most of the time folding worse ones. and you take this pot easily enough times to not fold the river.

check/call is the best option here.

edit: also the hands which do beat you can check through this river costing you less
Old 11-21-2005, 02:47 AM

I don't hate check/calling.

I think people sometimes over estimate how often you'll get a call from a non-pair hand, and under estimate how often a non-pair hand will bet when you show weakness by checking.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I think people sometimes over estimate how often you'll get a call from a non-pair hand, and under estimate how often a non-pair hand will bet when you show weakness by checking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hm, my experience has been the complete opposite of this. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 11-21-2005, 03:11 AM

Likewise
Old 11-21-2005, 03:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hm, my experience has been the complete opposite of this. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

is this 1/2?? they check behind a lot at 1/2 and .5/1 .. but bet a shitton at 2/4, 3/6, 5/10(also more likely to raise the river)