Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2005, 08:34 PM

Default Re: Meditations on getting a Vespa

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
clothing - what kind of clothing should I get to stay warm, while avoiding looking like a complete tool?

[/ QUOTE ]

Some kind of flowing scarf would need to be a part of any riding ensemble.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps an ascot!
Old 11-11-2005, 08:37 PM

get a sweet classic royal enfield.

will help you pick up the vespa chicks that might otherwise assume you like men.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:41 PM

NEVERMIND SCOOTER PICS ARE TOO BIG [censored]
Old 11-11-2005, 08:43 PM

The scooter has come a long way I guess.

Old 11-11-2005, 08:52 PM

The Vespa dealership in San Diego is in a prime part of Hillcrest. Hillcrest has the second most gays per capita in America. Enjoy.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Vespas are cute for chicks.

[/ QUOTE ]

deep down inside I've always had a vision that this is me -

I'm not a motorcyle kind of guy...

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 11-11-2005, 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
clothing - what kind of clothing should I get to stay warm, while avoiding looking like a complete tool?

[/ QUOTE ]

Some kind of flowing scarf would need to be a part of any riding ensemble.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm way ahead in the scootering clothing department then.

Long flowing scarf - check

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 11-11-2005, 08:56 PM

No. Just no.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:59 PM

I have a vespa, but I don't really drive it any more since I upgraded to a motorcycle. My thoughts:

1) If you are riding in heavy traffic, I don't think a scooter is any more dangerous than a bicycle. Most people who really hurt themselves on motorcycles do so at high speeds, which you won't be going at. As for getting hit by another car, well that could happen on foot, and then you wouldn't be wearing a helmet.

2) you can do it, but you'll have to *really* bundle up.

3) not sure here - it doesn't get nearly as cold in seattle so I rode all in winter in jeans and a jacket. I also looked like a tool most of time anyways, so no help there.

4) no idea about NYC. Never had a problem in seattle.

5) I don't know if I get an old one unless you have at least some interest in learning how to work on it. Even if you don't fix it much yourself, being able to figure out what's wrong will save you a lot of hassle and money. The good news is that they are really simple to work on.

6) If you get a new one, there's about 0 learning curve. You twist the handle and it goes - very, very easy to drive. When I got mine I was wicked lazy (and a little cheap) and got a 50cc, which means that I didn't have to get an endorsement. If you need an endorsement in NYC, I don't think they'll let you drive it off the lot unless you can show one.

7) I would think that if you buy it now you could probably get a better price - its a [censored] time of year to try and sell these things.

As far as being a scooter boy, I think it takes a real man to drive a girly vehicle [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] As to the reactions I've gotten from females, it's usually quite positive (they want me to take them for a ride). I don't doubt that there are women who wouldn't look twice at your after you ride up in one, but on the other hand I've actually heard lots of chicks tell me that they hate "crotch rockets" and feel like guys who tear around in loud sport bikes must have something to prove.
Old 11-11-2005, 09:04 PM

when i was in florence for a month i rented a scooter to fly around town with. it was pretty intimidating at first.. for the first few days to a week i would try to only go out on it during the wee hours of the night or very very early morning when nobody else was out. this also helped me learn the city.

after the first week or so i was super confident and didn't feel nervous anymore. i went out during the day and in thick traffic. italian drivers are crazy, and soon enough i became assimilated. it's funny.. first few days i didn't even want to go out during the day, now i'm passing busses on the left.

anyway, it was so much fun that i convinced myself i would have to purchase one when i got back. the problem is, nobody rides scooters here. in italy EVERYONE rides them. and EVERYONE looks goofy on them, but nobody cares somehow. there you are with this scooter and big ass goofy shield on the front, in your goofy ass helmet and nobody cares.. so it's ok. i can't picture myself riding that thing around in the united states.

naturally i began thinking about motorcycle style, and i still am. i like this ducati angle, i must say.