Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2005, 01:38 PM

Default Re: Assessment

Just wanted to point out that the word is "bankroll" not "bank role".

Cheers,
Bluffman85

/Sorry, I'm not really a vocabulary nazi.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:52 PM

are you only playing shorthanded?

if you are going to eight-table you probably need to play full ring. if you only have $1200 don't play any higher than 1/2. 600 bb's for 6-8 tables should be plenty if you don't go on crazy tilt. don't get in a rush to try and win back lost money. I think patience is the most important thing here.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Cheers,
Bluffman85

[/ QUOTE ]

The roll/role think is a pet peeve of mine too.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Cheers,
Bluffman85

[/ QUOTE ]

The roll/role thing is a pet peeve of mine too.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-11-2005, 10:10 PM

Take ggbman's advice and start small and don't get in a hurry. I don't believe you have to have 600BB to play at a certain level though. More like 400 but the point is to grind it out. It's a marathon not a 40 yard dash.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Take ggbman's advice and start small and don't get in a hurry.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup.

Sorry that you are running so poorly kurosh.
I think it takes a bit of courage to post this after some of the blasting you took back in the day.

Also, strongly consider the bonus-whoring opportunities available through the crypto-skins.

Even if you don't have accounts at some of those places already...it usually doesn't cost too much to put in the minimal amount and grind out the bonus (and perhaps get rake-bkca along with it).
If you don't have an account at some of the cryptos though then you need to be aware that you can't cash-out until you get the PIN via regular 'snail-mail' and obviously you can't afford to have very much money locked-up at one site or another.

Otherwise, I agree with going down to 1/2 or 2/4 and really working your ass off to rebuild your ROLL (not role).

ggbman's comments that you obviously shouldn't have been playing that high with that little dough and that you need to conquer some of these money-management issues are certainly spot-on.
But you already knew that.

Good luck. I truly hope you put it back together.
Old 11-12-2005, 03:17 AM

Low variance is crucial for bankroll rebuilding. Stay away from MTT's. I'd probably play only SNGs if I had to rebuild. They seem to be the lowest variance available.
Old 11-12-2005, 03:35 AM

This sort of catastrophic situation is part of why I bother to keep a metric [censored] ton of bonus stacked at sites where they don't expire.
Old 11-12-2005, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Low variance is crucial for bankroll rebuilding. Stay away from MTT's. I'd probably play only SNGs if I had to rebuild. They seem to be the lowest variance available.

[/ QUOTE ]
I am very new to poker and I thought LHE had less variance than no limit or SNGs... are SNGs the lowest variance? Thanks
Old 11-12-2005, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So, on to rebuilding. You need to have at least 600 BB for any stake level you play. Go to 2-4 right now. Play there until you get like a 3k role and move to 3-6. You can be at 5-10 within 2-3 months, and once you get there its more than possible to make $80-$125/hour there. You can rebuild your role quickly there.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very good advice.

We were talking about this on IRC, and kurosh was talking about being back to 10k within a month. Of course, at the time you didn't include your bank account in there, and given that it might be doable if you start at 3/6 6m. But personally, I'd leave your bank account alone, drop your rakeback into PP when you get it, and just grind at 2/4 until you have 500 BB, then move up to 3/6 6m, play til you have 500 BB, etc etc. Maybe even make it 600 BB for 6m. If you don't want to have to move down ever again, you really need to maintain a huge bankroll.

If you want to get back up there as soon as possible, you could move up whenever you have 300 BB for the next level, but that's sort of what has you in this situation in the first place, isn't it? Like everyone's saying, this is a good time to force yourself to accept bankroll management. While it may cost you in opportunity cost, if you don't start properly managing your bankroll now, you're going to continually find yourself losing out in opportunities in the future after you hit a downswing.

Take it slow. Grind it out. Rebuild, and you'll be back to 5/10 or 10/20 fairly soon.