Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 10-25-2005, 02:07 PM

Default Re: work evaluation having to rate co-wokers ?

This sounds like a race to the bottom. Be sure to degrade others before they degrade you, and help the company document reasons for firing the workers someone in management doesn't like, or with higher than average wages. I don't like this a bit. You're being asked to do management's dirty work for them. They already know who they're going to give raises or promotions or bonuses, and are very unlikely to want any of your input on that. However, they can get mileage out of competitive backstabbing and rumor mongering.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:07 PM

I would never ever begin to consider to work in a place that practices this [censored].
Old 10-25-2005, 02:19 PM

This may be the only answer... stick it right back to them... primer
Old 10-25-2005, 02:42 PM

Peeing in a bottle sounds like the next step.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Peeing in a bottle sounds like the next step.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what you mean. Should I be offended?
Old 10-25-2005, 02:59 PM

Don't say anything bad, even weak (like 'sometimes a little late') cos there's a good chance those words or similar will be used if that manager doesn't like that person. Or they'll go in some report, and be picked up by a manager in the future whose looking for ammo against that person. Managers can be weasels. I know, I used to be one, and used to have to deal with others. I hate the little squeaking wankers!

DON'T give em any ammo against coworkers whatsoever.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:44 PM

I mean this sounds like a bad management practice, with ill intent toward employees, that nobody should have to deal with. It sounds more like an attempt to demean, diminish, and control employees than to actually get something work-related accomplished.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate this kind of management/HR tool. In the past I've refused to participate in these types of things. I don't particularly like rating people or ratting on people. I'd probably approach it the same way that you mentioned Gorie.

(I actually have to review my boss and managers at my current job. They claim it is confidential)

[/ QUOTE ]

They don't make us rate our fellow employees here, but once a year we have a 360 review of our managers. The last one was about 6 months ago. My manager did well, he only had a few negative comments but didn't take offence. He found it helpful.

However, there was another manager in the office who was ripped to shreds by her employees. They all hated her and didn't pull any punches in describing what she was doing wrong. Apparently this totally devastated her -- she's been on stress leave ever since.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:44 PM

Welcome to the real world honey. First of all, your goal here is to move up the corporate ladder so you can make lots more money. Not that you have much chance starting out as a grunt but you might as well try. You want to look better than everyone else so pick out the two most capable co-workers and make some mildly disparaging comments. Don't be too harsh or you will sound like a vindictive bitch. Say good things about everyone else. Pick out the two biggest fvckups in your office. Give these two really awesome reviews. This way you come off as genuine and you will be using management to weed out your stiffest competition.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Unless you are fairly high-up in the company with a real investment in your future there, looking to improve the company, I would personally recommend being as bland and neutral as possible in your reviews. Little upside with lots of potential downside.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never understood this attitude at a job you consider a career. Why not try to make things better if you're going to spend 40+ hours a week there?

Also, in all likelihood your bosses want to know if you are unhappy or if there are specific things that you would like them to do differently. I know I want to know. It's hard to replace people.