Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 10-19-2005, 07:24 AM

Default Justice Served

What would you look for from the Saddam trial to decide if this is a kangaroo court or a legitimate trial?
Old 10-19-2005, 08:08 AM

Default Re: Justice Served

First of all, I think he is guilty and should be sentenced, but I think it is impossible to get a fair trial since his opponents and now judges seems to hate him (with good reason). He claims to have immunity due to Iraqi law, and I think a much better signal to give to dictators would be to grant him this immunity, but then prosecute him in th international court to show that national law/ nationally granted powers does not allow you to breach human rights. The latter would imply that Donald Rumsfeld should be prosecuted and convicted for Guantanamo though, so it won't probably be to popular within the occupation power.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What would you look for from the Saddam trial to decide if this is a kangaroo court or a legitimate trial?

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Is the trial held in secret, or televised?
2. Does the defendant have the right to cross-examine accusatory witnesses and call witnesses in his own defense?
3. Does the government put on enough evidence that a bunch of Martians who had never heard of Saddam before would be convinced that he committed the crimes he's accused of?
Old 10-19-2005, 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
First of all, I think he is guilty and should be sentenced, but I think it is impossible to get a fair trial since his opponents and now judges seems to hate him (with good reason). He claims to have immunity due to Iraqi law, and I think a much better signal to give to dictators would be to grant him this immunity, but then prosecute him in th international court to show that national law/ nationally granted powers does not allow you to breach human rights. The latter would imply that Donald Rumsfeld should be prosecuted and convicted for Guantanamo though, so it won't probably be to popular within the occupation power.

[/ QUOTE ]

International tribunals (at least wimpy modern int'l tribunals) can't impose the death penalty.

What international crime do you think Rumsfeld is guilty of? Torture? He's not immune from prosecution for that under US law. Plus I'm sure there's been sufficient investigation of any allegations to take the case out of ICC jurisdiction, even if the US was a party to that flawed construct.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:08 PM

There's simply no chance he isn't guilty.

Sentence first, verdict afterwards.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:02 PM

Saddam is clearly guilty and they allow death by hanging as a punishment. We will know if the trial is legitimate when Saddam hangs by the neck until dead.

Squirm baby, squirm. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-19-2005, 04:00 PM

I tend to believe that martyrdom is too good for SH. Let him live like a rat in a cage for the rest of his life. The only protein allowed is pork.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I tend to believe that martyrdom is too good for SH. Let him live like a rat in a cage for the rest of his life. The only protein allowed is pork.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sir, I like your attitude! I've always wanted SH locked away somewhere for the remainder of his miserable life. I like the idea of him being exposed to and surrounded by whatever scum they throw in their jails.

I like the thought of Big Achmed (no discourtesy toward Iraqi names intended), who stands about 6-4, weights in at no less than 360, has a 14" Johnson, and a perpetual hard-on (figuratively and literally), winding up in SH's cell immediately finding SH attractive and demonstrating his attraction. Frequently. On a daily basis. Day after day after day after...

If SH is hung, not only will I be denied the above wounderful thoughts, he may very well be considered a martyr by a number of Arabs. I don't think many of the clerics will.

I'd like him to be on view for this and the next generation of Iraqis. Proof positive they will not tolerate the behavior he demonstrated. Anyone who thinks he's a great man would be allowed visitation rights. Of course, Big Achmed would be present.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-20-2005, 05:37 AM

Default The Lynch Justice

[ QUOTE ]
There's simply no chance he isn't guilty. Sentence first, verdict afterwards.

[/ QUOTE ]

So why try him at all? Why not execute him before a firing squad or hang him as soon as possible?

..."The more we fight them, the more we become like them".
Old 10-20-2005, 05:59 AM

Default Vae victis

In order to have a fair trial, anywhere, for any reason, the least one should expect is the following.

- the laws under which the defendant will be tried must have been applicable at the time that the crimes for which he is been accused were allegedly committed

- the defendant must be allowed to freely choose his legal representatives and, if he refuses to have one, the court must appoint a lawyer who is competent and neutral (or even sympathetic) to the defendant's case

- the defendant and his lawyer must be allowed prior access to all the prosecution's documentation and testimonies in regard to the charges

- the defendant and his lawyer must be allowed to rebutt all arguments made by the prosecution, challenge the witnesses and have the closing argument

- the presiding judge must be a competent person who has no overt personal, social or political relationship to either the prosecutors or the defendant and his lawyer

- people must be allowed to enter the court room and watch the trial's proceedings, on a free and first-come-first-served basis.

I am not a lawyer but this much I know.