Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 10-14-2005, 01:05 PM

Default Re: Turning on the LAG gear

An expert on PokerTracker says, in NL ring games, LAGs show a greater profit than TAGs. The variance is greater, of course, and risk of ruin higher, but they actually make more money on average. (This is with a database of stats that is truly mindboggling.)

Just an interesting side note.

CJ
Old 10-14-2005, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
An expert on PokerTracker says, in NL ring games, LAGs show a greater profit than TAGs. The variance is greater, of course, and risk of ruin higher, but they actually make more money on average. (This is with a database of stats that is truly mindboggling.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Where did one find this expert and his mindboggling stats? Is this from posts in the PL & NL forums or from talking to him personally?
Old 10-14-2005, 01:14 PM

It's generally true. A good LAG can certainly outgain a TAG, but even an average LAG will earn less then a good TAG. Being TAG certainly limits variance somewhat because in general they enter the hand with the best hand. LAG's accept that they might not have the best hand but are willing to play on the flop to outplay TAGs or fish. Plus LAG's tend to get good action on their good hands when people expect them to have 76s and they have KK.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Where did one find this expert and his mindboggling stats? Is this from posts in the PL & NL forums or from talking to him personally?

[/ QUOTE ]

Who? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

(I'm not allowed to say or I'd be killed.) You have to take some things on faith. Trust me--and him--on this one. I wouldn't have believed it, either, but a few million hands on PP proved me wrong.

CJ
Old 10-14-2005, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure about the specific hand though. Your stack size is awkward, so you're forced to bet 2x the pot in order to make a convincing bluff. (Of course, overbetting probably makes it less likely that you get called, but I don't think that effect is significant enough to cancel out the extra chips risked.) If you had more or less chips, I'd like this play a lot more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, here's the fun part:

Say he has a big ace with a heart and I have exactly 1x the pot or 4x the pot in my stack: he's calling or pushing to any bet I make. The same goes for something like Jx J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I'm probably better off check/folding.

Here, I'm representing one of two things: A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Kx or AA-QQ, no hearts. Unless he has exactly tens or A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], he cannot call this push (he might with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Kx, but I've got odds vs. that anyway).

This play works exactly because of the stack size I have.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:03 PM

I remember when you yelled at me for making this exact play. Of course, it was in a SNG.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure about the specific hand though. Your stack size is awkward, so you're forced to bet 2x the pot in order to make a convincing bluff. (Of course, overbetting probably makes it less likely that you get called, but I don't think that effect is significant enough to cancel out the extra chips risked.) If you had more or less chips, I'd like this play a lot more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, here's the fun part:

Say he has a big ace with a heart and I have exactly 1x the pot or 4x the pot in my stack: he's calling or pushing to any bet I make. The same goes for something like Jx J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I'm probably better off check/folding.

Here, I'm representing one of two things: A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Kx or AA-QQ, no hearts. Unless he has exactly tens or A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], he cannot call this push (he might with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Kx, but I've got odds vs. that anyway).

This play works exactly because of the stack size I have.

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's generally true. A good LAG can certainly outgain a TAG, but even an average LAG will earn less then a good TAG. Being TAG certainly limits variance somewhat because in general they enter the hand with the best hand. LAG's accept that they might not have the best hand but are willing to play on the flop to outplay TAGs or fish. Plus LAG's tend to get good action on their good hands when people expect them to have 76s and they have KK.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes and yes, plus it's very difficult to tell a true LAG from a fish. (Hint: In ring games, look for the semi-LAGs with a VP$iP of 22-26 with a nice stack.) Those of us who are 18-19 often pass up hands that win big pots, and get a lot less action on those we do play. It's really the s-LAGs that are doing the real killin'.

CJ
Old 10-14-2005, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I remember when you yelled at me for making this exact play. Of course, it was in a SNG.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd still never make it in an SNG...people call all sorts of weird crap when they're not playing for what looks like 80 billion dollars. Heh.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:07 PM

I'm assuming that the stakes here are at least 30+3, right?