Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling

Old 10-05-2005, 01:56 PM

Default Cyberthiefs stole $65000 from Party poker player.

Since it is in swedish I'll have to translate.

"The poker pro lost his username - and $65 000. The cyber thieves stole his password to the account at PartyPoker.

When the swedish poker pro Mats Rahm managed to get access again the account had been emptied of over $65 000 (probably not true, but portions of it was lost).
- I don't know what will happen now, he says.

When Mats Rahm, from Vällingby outside Stockholm tried to log in on the site of Partypoker.com it didn't work at all. Wrong password was the reply he got. Same thing when he tried to access his hotmail-account.

The reason for the technical problems was worse than Mats Rahm could imagine. Someone had hacked into his mail account and thereby were able to get access to the password for his poker account. It was emptied of $65 000.

- This is stealing. And it was very well timed. I was in Tallin for four days to play the Pokermillion (a swedish competition). and didn't have access to my account from there.

If he will get his money back again is no clear. The thieves had managed to gamble away a big amount in the meantime.

- I don't know what will happen now. A manager from PartyPoker will call me later tonight and we will see. The thieves have played away a chunk of the money. A friend of mine saw my username in action and said they played like maniacs.

Mats Rahm is dissapointed in PartyPokers action - and warns other users of using hotmail.

- Why doesn't any warning bells from the company ring? The thieves change password, logs in from the other side of the world and transfers the maximum $8 000 to other accounts and withdraws at once. Anyone could understand something is not right. Hotmail? I will never use it again.

The issue is now dealt with at the top level of Partypoker, who are listed on the London stock exchange.

Sportbladet (the newspaper) have failed to reach representatives for the company for comments"
Old 10-05-2005, 02:11 PM

Default Re: Cyberthiefs stole $65000 from Party poker player.

How did they hack into his Hotmail account? I guess that's the risk we all run by putting money into virtual only vaults.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:14 PM

Personally I am more worried about the public doubting the security of online poker (more than the actual security of it). This is Swedens largest evening newspaper. Imagine a story like this in USA today.

And of course Partypoker should change their methods. Someone logging in from another country and changing the password should automatically lock the account.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:19 PM

It would require a very large investigation team, of which I'm not sure PP wants to invest in. I've logged into PP from other countries (esp Asia), and I'd get pissed off if I got locked every time that happens. This would happen most to consultants and businessmen.

Also consider the people that live close to a border (like my parents, who live 20 min away from Canada).
Old 10-05-2005, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It would require a very large investigation team, of which I'm not sure PP wants to invest in. I've logged into PP from other countries (esp Asia), and I'd get pissed off if I got locked every time that happens. This would happen most to consultants and businessmen.

Also consider the people that live close to a border (like my parents, who live 20 min away from Canada).

[/ QUOTE ]

Or it can be automated since where ip's originate hardly are secret.

Businessmen could tell Party in advance, exactly like you can with Neteller.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:39 PM

But these people wouldn't be changing their passwords when they got to said foreign country.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:49 PM

For Neteller that doesn't matter. It will have to be unlocked by you proving who you are. Their customers security is the most important thing. And without it you will be left wide open, as evidenced by this Partypoker case.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:50 PM

Account locking for foreign IPs could be a feature that can be turned off on request by people who do travel. Myself I've never even been out of Australia (can't swim that good) and I'd sure as hell want my account locked if some dirty englishmen tried to log in :P
Old 10-05-2005, 03:24 PM

How did hacking his hotmail account get the thieves into his Party account? Did he use the same password for both? Or did he have the password in an email stored on Hotmail? In either case, it was pretty careless.
Old 10-05-2005, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How did hacking his hotmail account get the thieves into his Party account? Did he use the same password for both? Or did he have the password in an email stored on Hotmail? In either case, it was pretty careless.

[/ QUOTE ]

Start Partypoker. See the button called "forgot password"?