Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

View Poll Results: Lindsay or Hilary TODAY?
Lindsay 26 16.05%
Hilary 136 83.95%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-27-2005, 03:03 PM

Default Re: what affects roi the most?

and how about all the times that you push trash and get there?

in the long run, this evens out and you cannot factor suckouts or bad luck into ROI at all...if we are discussing the 'true roi' which of coarse is only theoretical anyway
Old 09-27-2005, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can play perfect 4-5 handed SNG strategy and still either get sucked out on by a dumb call or walk into a monster. This is single-handedly the biggest factor in my ROI, even considering the long term effects.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're saying that "perfect 4-5 handed strategy" is affected by things out of your control, then you are right...of course it is, thats why no one has a ROI of 100% or more. If you play perfect late game, then, by definition, there is nothing you could do differently there to affect your ROI. Therefore you have to look elsewhere in your game. Not to get caught up on semantics, but I think this is an important distinction.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:07 PM

While we're being accurate. I believe that the bubble play always has the greatest impact on your ROI. The implied assumption is that in the $100s+ that everyone can do it, so you have to gain ROI from somewhere else.

If someone is losing a lot of money in the $100s, then their bubble play is probably the first place they should look.

Lori
Old 09-27-2005, 03:11 PM

the answer is bubble play

no matter the level

'what affects roi the most' = bubble play

now, at the 100/200s, 'what is the biggest difference in the roi between player a and b' = early play because most of the players play a good bubble...but if they play the bubble badly, their roi will drop much more than if they play poorly early on...so while early play may separate the good from the great, proper bubble play has the biggest single factor on roi, no matter the limit
Old 09-27-2005, 03:12 PM

I think pushes are what sticks out in your mind because that is where the money is determined. But, late game pushes are really a product of previous play. If you play a strong game and have a lot of chips, it gives you options. But, if you play poorly and find yourself short on chips, your hands are forced late. So, your poor play early forced your hand down the road. so, I would say late game pushes are more a product of your earlier decisions...good early decisions keep you from having to push late which can reduce your chances of being busted by a suck out. but I'm new at this...
Old 09-27-2005, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
While we're being accurate. I believe that the bubble play always has the greatest impact on your ROI. The implied assumption is that in the $100s+ that everyone can do it, so you have to gain ROI from somewhere else.

If someone is losing a lot of money in the $100s, then their bubble play is probably the first place they should look.

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, the easy answer is always going to be "bubble play". But that is obvious and boring...In my game, it is almost always a propensity for being loose early that affects my ROI, bc my late game SHOULD be consistent by now.

EDIT: by "consistent" I mean "inconsistent"
Old 09-27-2005, 03:19 PM

With the confidence displayed by the 2+2'ers, lets just cut to the chase, THE BIGGEST FACTOR IN ROI IS LUCK BY EVERYONE ELSE BUT US. If it werent for luck, our ROI would be about 455%!
Old 09-27-2005, 03:32 PM

I voted for call, as it is relevant throughout the tournament.

And I am not necessarily thinking of calling a preflop push at 200-400. "Calls" can refer to any hand, of multiple streets, where my hand is good and i know it, yet a villain has taken the initiative and seems intent on building a pot.

Calls are ubiquitous enough; at 10-15, or 50-100, or bubble, or enging the HU match, i think greater ROI gains come from playing this part well than any of the other options (stages).
Old 09-27-2005, 04:48 PM

Pushes and late play
Old 09-27-2005, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok we are getting to where I want to be exactly here.

I had always assumed that bubble play was it, but recently in a long bad streak I started feeling otherwise. I have been doing so poorly in my middle play that I assumed that is where my rio was swinging on. Maybe it is, but only on the luck level.

Anyways...Lori
When you say "bubble" , you do mean exactly 4handed right?