Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2005, 06:13 PM

Default $22 Holy overbet Batman.

Level 3. Blinds 25/50. Two limpers who both cover me (reads on both: decent, a bit too lose but no donks). I am in BB with 660 chips and call with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

Flop: (pot 175). T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I check. Guy1 bets 50, Guy2 calls 50. I push 610 chips. Both fold to my mighty overbet.

Should I just call? I will hit my hand by the river more than half of the time and if I do I should be able to gain a few more chips. Should I raise to 150-200 trying to get callers?
Old 09-11-2005, 06:17 PM

Default Re: $22 Holy overbet batman.

This post reminds me of Strassa's recent C/R post. He was talking about bet/3betting with strong hands rather than C/R, where you only get one bet out of the bettor. If you make a weak lead at the pot, maybe you get called and improve, or maybe you get raised and can push then.

So, that is the line I would take.

With the C/R, I think your only raise is a push though, even though it's a bit of an overbet. Anything else is strange and makes it very awkward when called and the turn blanks.
Old 09-11-2005, 06:23 PM

Default Re: $22 Holy overbet batman.

Problem with a weak bet is that it doesn't shut out stronger draws. And of course if one of them happens to hit some kind of hand on the turn I doubt I want to call even a pot sized bet there.

If someone calls me on the flop I'm fine with it. But if I miss the turn my hand is starting to look much more doubtful.
Old 09-11-2005, 07:53 PM

Default Re: $22 Holy overbet Batman.

[ QUOTE ]
Level 3. Blinds 25/50. Two limpers who both cover me (reads on both: decent, a bit too lose but no donks). I am in BB with 660 chips and call with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

Flop: (pot 175). T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I check. Guy1 bets 50, Guy2 calls 50. I push 610 chips. Both fold to my mighty overbet.

Should I just call? I will hit my hand by the river more than half of the time and if I do I should be able to gain a few more chips. Should I raise to 150-200 trying to get callers?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thing is that you're such a big favorite to win the hand. I might c/r to T150 here to try to milk them even more. If they call, good, you've fattened a pot that you're a big favorite in. If they fold, that's okay, since it means that you [probably] wouldn't have gotten much out of them anyway if you hit your draw.

If you use this line and don't hit on the turn, that might be a good spot to semi-bluff all-in. Flop, you're too much of a favorite to push I think.
Old 09-11-2005, 07:57 PM

Push is ok but I like raisng to 150 or 200 more here as your hand is pretty strong as as said above you can get more money and can push after the turn even if you don't improve as you still have a)fold equity and b)1000 outs.
Old 09-11-2005, 08:00 PM

T275 is worth picking up with your puny stack. Go for it.
Old 09-11-2005, 08:05 PM

Lead the flop for T110, push if raised. If called, push the turn no matter what card comes.
Old 09-11-2005, 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lead the flop for T110, push if raised. If called, push the turn no matter what card comes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Problem with that line is that I am giving A/K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] rag[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] a good price to call and having such a hand call weakens my hand significantly.
Old 09-11-2005, 08:10 PM

say you bet flop and someone pushes. Now do you have to fold your hand? or call off all your chips on a draw?
Old 09-11-2005, 08:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
say you bet flop and someone pushes. Now do you have to fold your hand? or call off all your chips on a draw?

[/ QUOTE ]

No way I will ever fold to a flop push with this strong a draw. Even if the guy who pushes have a set of tens I am 40% to win the hand.