Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2005, 02:00 AM

Default How often to call down A-high at 10/20?

I am feeling more comfortable at 10/20, but this situation comes up fairly often and I'm not sure how well I handle it. For example, in the following hand my missed hand gets raised on the turn. How often does everyone call down A-high in a situation like this, and what factors into your decision? Obviously, the texture of the board and the nature of your opponent are all important - I just wanted some input.

Villain is loose, but not overly aggressive postflop. About 42/16/1.7. Definitely not passive, but no maniac. I folded this hand because all I had was A-high, with no prospects to improve. I have noticed a lot though that A-high calldowns at 10/20 can be very profitable, but when I first got to 10/20 I was so amped up for the much-hyped aggression that I turned into a LAG who couldn't lay anything down. So, thoughts? Not necessarily about this hand specifically, just general ideas would be great.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, BB folds.

Turn: (4.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 7.25 BB
Old 09-06-2005, 02:10 AM

Default Re: How often to call down A-high at 10/20?

In this hand, easy fold for me. Typically I am going to give more credit to a turn raise for at least a pair or better than I will flop betting &amp; raising. If I have AK or AQ with a raggy board I am much more likely to call down or at least try to make a pair by the river. I can dump weak aces a lot easier &amp; they have much less "chasing" value because likely you will hit your x kicker &amp; still be beaten.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:20 AM

Calling down here seems absolutely insane.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:55 AM

[censored] are you serious?
Old 09-06-2005, 03:36 AM

You've shown nothing but aggression the entire hand, a scary card comes up for any mediocre holding, but he has no fear and raises.

Good fold.
Old 09-06-2005, 03:55 AM

I agree calling down seems insane. What did he coldcall with? Unless he is a moron he probably has either a/ a better ace b/ a pocket pair or c/ KQ(s)
Either way you are beat and drawing to probably no more than 4 outs at best. So the pot is much too small to call down.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:24 AM

I don't play 10/20, and I think the fold is fine in this situation, but I also want to note that waiting for the turn to raise a paired flop is a fairly common bluff by decent to good players. However, I think the king is a particularly bad card for you here so I think the fold is fine, but you can't fold every time you get c/red like this.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:30 AM

Are you saying he is representing having coldcalled with a 4?
Old 09-06-2005, 04:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but I also want to note that waiting for the turn to raise a paired flop is a fairly common bluff by decent to good players. However, I think the king is a particularly bad card for you here so I think the fold is fine, but you can't fold every time you get c/red like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

A good player doing this move and a bad player doing this move is 2 differnt things. Why would a good player pretend he coldcalled with rags? Makes no sense. He will see flop and know that u know he isnt hit by that.

A bad player will much more often think: "Ah, paired flop, he isint hit, lets checkcall flop and checkraise turn." Also, a good player normally want some outs to his bluff, unless board is perfect. Bad players dont care much about outs.

In this hand we are not sure if we can beat Ax(s), which is a very common coldcalling hand from a loose player so calling down is probably wrong.

I think the most important thing to think about in these spots is if u have been running bad. If u have, if they are running u over, u have to call down more. Even nontricky and passive players get tricky and aggressive when every hand they play hits and every hand u play dont.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:47 AM

This is a fold by default but there are times when you should call it down. Helpful? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]