Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2005, 01:51 PM

Default critique this AA hand

villan is a smart-semi LAG 30/20ish, a regular, and probably longterm winner. I've been 3 betting his pfr pretty often so we are kind of gunning @ each other. I took a super long pause on turn to call.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Button ($1891.50)
SB ($990)
BB ($385)
UTG ($2658)
Hero ($2111)
CO ($1033)

Preflop: Hero is MP with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $5.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $40</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $120</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, UTG calls $80.

Flop: ($255) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $150</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $400</font>, Hero calls $250.

Turn: ($1055) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $525</font>, Hero calls $525.

River: ($2105) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG calls $1613 (All-In), Hero calls $1066 (All-In).

Final Pot: $4784
Old 08-31-2005, 02:47 PM

Default Re: critique this AA hand

I dont like it.

The only thing you're really beating is queens. Would he try to be tricky with KK preflop and just call? It looks like he either caught his JJ or turned it with KQ. The 525 on the turn looks like a value bet with a 1k pot.

Thinking about it more though this is a line a lag could take with KK, normal raise pf, gets rred, thinks ok, ill let him hang himself. Do I trust that read for 2k? I dont know but it could happen enough to make calling profitable.

Did you plan on calling down once he raised the flop?
Old 08-31-2005, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did you plan on calling down once he raised the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a key question - a lot of players, myself often included, cannot fold AA on seemingly innocuous flops. If you answer yes, put him to the test and push the flop. If he calls with his KQ, you made the right move. If he has you beat, it was an expensive lesson.
If you don't push and take the calldown route, I agree that it becomes more and more likely you're probably behind as you're only beating QQ or KK and a very small percentage of donks with AJ.
Old 08-31-2005, 04:59 PM

Your in a tough spot. I think your looking at a boat with most likely jacks full, but maybe tens full. The only hands that you can beat that are realistically out there is KK and QQ. I you either need to fold to the raise on the flop or push after the raise on the flop. You got yourself into a really difficult situation with the call, because you still don't really know how strong the villian is.

GL.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:09 PM

If you are going in, I'd move in on the turn.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:00 PM

villan had KQ for nut straight. I really felt that turn 1/2 bet had massive "milking you my boy" texture in it, but because I'm a fish, I can't lay AA.

is there a cheaper way to find out where I am in the hand guys? I considered minraising turn and not putting any more in then figured I'd be getting something like 5:1 and it would make it very difficult to let go, so I figured I had best chance just calling down the whole way.

anyone find a fold on turn or river? or is this too player dependent thing?
Old 08-31-2005, 11:07 PM

According to the way you played it, I would have folded the river. He has AA beat unless he is crazy, which would be player dependent. But I probably wouldn't have made it that far as I would have popped it on the turn. Though you have to wonder, what the [censored] check-raises the flop and leads the turn strong? Not something you beat. If I was in the right mindset I would lay it down on the turn. If he had bet smaller on the turn I would have raised.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:30 AM

what would he do with KK and QQ on this river?
Old 09-01-2005, 05:01 PM

If you say you've been 3'ing his pf raise then he dosent necessarily put u on [censored] if u 3 this flop.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:13 PM

why not reraise preflop for a bit more both when you have a hand and also when you dont?

a raise of less than 1/20 of his stack is going to be called by almost any 2 and given that you will likely autobet this flop, I think the implied odds are just too great. It forces you to navigate with your good preflop hands without knowing whether he is playing back at you with subpar 1 pair hands or whether he has a monster. you end up paying him off because you put yourself in to a marginal situation.

essentially, you've made it where a strategy of :I'll call your preflop reraise and assume you have AA/KK each and everytime even though I know you don't and I'll try to outflop you, draw on you because I know you'll pay me off, work.