Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Two Plus Two > Two Plus Two Internet Magazine
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2005, 06:03 AM

Default Re: Should You Quit Your Day Job? — Part II

"I most definitely have never said that you should believe ME because I am this or that. I have said that virtually EVERYBODY with a lot of experience in the poker world says that the odds are against making it as a full time pro."

True for the random player. True for the player who has barely survived for a year or two. False for anyone whose results are three or more standard deviations above what he would consider a good living. As long as he isn't counting tournaments, high stakes games, or extra juicy games that may not exist in the future.

If you have an IQ above 130, know how to do probability problems, are not psychologically challenged, and you read all our books and this website, you have a better than 50% chance of being able to grind out $1000 at least a week.

PS Only one of the people that I know of on the poker bustout video is a decent poker player.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:36 PM

Who is the cricket player in your avatar...Shane Warne?
Old 08-31-2005, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Young person gets a degree (4 year) and goes straight to poker (no 9 to 5 office job first). If poker does't work out, then she has a decent amount of outs. She can get an MD, JD, whatever. She can try for an entry job.

[/ QUOTE ]

How many outs do they have if they survive for 5 or 6 years, completely off the map, and go busted? So much for that degree. You could always try real estate, I guess.

There is much greater danger lying in wait for a winner than a loser. Go ask the brain dead boxers of the world if they can still compete at a championship level. You never know if you've got what it takes until you lose. Tyson? Ungar? This is a tough lifestyle not only to control but also to maintain. It's a true test of human adaptability, endurance, and determination.
Old 08-31-2005, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PS Only one of the people that I know of on the poker bustout video is a decent poker player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which one?
Old 08-31-2005, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you have an IQ above 130,

[/ QUOTE ]

That standard seems a little high to me, I think less than 3% of people would fall into this range.

118 + a little common sense and you're golden. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-31-2005, 06:28 PM

Random comment to make: I dislike handles in general, but yours is hysterical, for those of us that get the joke.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com
Old 08-31-2005, 08:34 PM

"If you have an IQ above 130

That standard seems a little high to me, I think less than 3% of people would fall into this range.

118 + a little common sense and you're golden."

I'm guessing that more than 25% of the registered users of this forum have IQs above 130. I'm guessing a 118 IQ would make you an underdog to succeed regardless of your dedication.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Who is the cricket player in your avatar...Shane Warne?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you go to the website, pokerbustouts.com, you will learn that some of them supported themselves for many years, and at least one ran his bankroll to over $700,000. Others won major tournaments, including WSOP events.

You must face up to one reality: NOBODY with extensive experience in the world of poker believes it is easy to make it as a pro. We differ on how difficult it is, and what percentage of wannabes fail, but ALL of us know that most of them don't make it.

Regards,

Al

[/ QUOTE ]

Al has written quite throughly about many making it as a pro. I think Al's information is frequently generalized to the masses of aspiring poker players. I understand why his information is given in that format because think of all the people at the tables who think they are excellent at poker but they are really poor players. That is who Al is addressing not the logical studious grinders who made themselves into winners through dedication and patience.

I believe that we humans have so much untapped potential in us. If the average man is willing to get all the needed books, videos and read the 2+2 books over and over again and spend over 10 hours a week reading and thinking about poker in addition to the needed table experience you can make yourself a winner. I just spent the summer traveling and playing in New Orleans and Las Vegas as a pro and it feels great winning and knowing why I am winning.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:58 PM

Default Re: Should You Quit Your Day Job? — Part II well.... im stupid

Hi, i dont have a mensa card, but from my experience, emotional control is at the top of the list for long term success. someone with much playing experience(and study) will play just find next to someone like you David because your edge imo is in those very close situations that need your advanced view of the game and ability to make decisions quickly.But still,I can make money. in limit, most of the time its not only your correct decisions but your opponents incorrect decisions that make you money. by putting pressure on opponents(for example) you increase your chances for success by forcing players into uncomfortable situations frequently.
But on the other hand, studies show that us humans are very good at pattern recognition and learning,in fact our brain solves these problems in classic bayesion(spelling),
type processes naturally, even without a 130 score.
if this all sounds dumb its cause i havent been tested lately. good luck