Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 08-25-2005, 10:34 AM

Default \"Fair Tax\"-a better alternative than \"Flat Tax\"

The flat tax retains the invasive income tax administration apparatus.
Under a flat tax, individuals would still file an income tax return each year similar to today’s 1040 EZ. While this is a simple postcard, the record keeping required to fill in the blanks is still long and burdensome. Under the FairTax, individuals would never file a tax return again, ever! Under the flat tax, the payroll tax would be retained and income tax withholding would still be with us. Under the FairTax, the payroll tax, which is a larger and more regressive tax burden for most Americans than is the income tax, would be repealed. Under the FairTax, what you earn is what you keep. No more with-holding taxes; no more income tax.
Since he FairTax plan removes the payroll tax while the flat tax keeps it, the FairTax makes it eaiser for the working poorto climb out of the dependency trap. In contrast, the working poor will continue to pay the 15.3 percent payroll tax on their first dollar earned under the flat tax. Under the Fair Tax, payroll taxes are repealed, a rebate of the consumption tax on expenditures up to the poverty level is provided, and all tax costs currently embedded in the retail supply chain are eliminated. Thus the marginal tax rate the poor face is zero up to the poverty level spending, and therefore, lower under the Fairtax than under the flat tax.
A flat tax is easy to convert back to an income tax. A flat tax fully preserves the IRS infrastructure.

Fairtax vs. Flat Tax
Old 08-25-2005, 05:37 PM

Default Re: \"Fair Tax\"-a better alternative than \"Flat Tax\"

The fair tax would be so much better.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:11 PM

To anybody who doesn't know about the FairTax plan:

IT IS FAR SUPERIOR to any income tax, or alternative tax system ever suggested. There is a book that just came out, The FairTax Book by Neal Boortz and congressman John Linder that explains it in detail. You can also visit www.fairtax.org to get info.

It has been discussed in this forum before, but I'm more than willing to answer any questions anybody has about it. I don't so much mind redundancy when it comes to lobbying this issue.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:19 PM

What is the general opposition to the Fair Tax comprised of? I haven't done much reading of the Fair Tax, but what I did read, I liked. But the elephant in the room seems to be if this is such a superior system, why the difficulty in enacting it?
Old 08-26-2005, 12:17 AM

What do you believe the liklihood of it being implemented is in a) the next 10 years and b) ever?
Old 08-26-2005, 12:47 AM

I suppose I don't understand-- what is taxed under the "fairtax" ? Are income levels irrelevent? That seems like a bad idea if so..
Old 08-26-2005, 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What is the general opposition to the Fair Tax comprised of? I haven't done much reading of the Fair Tax, but what I did read, I liked. But the elephant in the room seems to be if this is such a superior system, why the difficulty in enacting it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Liberals who feel it's regressive, ie the poor spend a higher percentage of their money on comsumables than the rich do. So the poor pays a higher percentage of their income than the rich. I don't know much about the fair tax but I'm sure proponents of it dissagree that it's regressive.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What is the general opposition to the Fair Tax comprised of? the elephant in the room seems to be if this is such a superior system, why the difficulty in enacting it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Some are hammering the "progressive" issue. They're playing on the wealth envy of the American people by telling you that the rich just won't be paying their "fair share." The purpose of a tax system is to raise money for the necessary operations of government, not to punish people for daring to achieve.
And about the poor? The FairTax is the only tax reform plan that completely relieves America's poor from the responsibility of paying taxes for the operation of the federal government. Under the FairTax plan the poor don't even have to pay for their own Social Security and Medicare.

Other detractors will tell you that the FairTax can't possibly be revenue neutral, that the rate would have to be as much as 50 OR 60% to fund the government at its current levels.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I suppose I don't understand-- what is taxed under the "fairtax" ? Are income levels irrelevent? That seems like a bad idea if so..

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, income will not be taxed, spending will. I think the idea of being penalized for achieving wealth is bad. The more money you earn the more you pay in tax. So the current system rewards those underachievers.

Read this story from Neal Boortz Reason for the fair tax

And check out the Fair Tax Volunteer web site to answer all your questions and then buy the book.

Old 08-26-2005, 08:16 AM

Default I do have a question..

[ QUOTE ]
but I'm more than willing to answer any questions anybody has about it. I don't so much mind redundancy when it comes to lobbying this issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

My wife is a realtor. Will realtors be catagorized as a service? Is there a list of occupations that will be catagorized as services?