Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 08-21-2005, 08:39 PM

Default Hmmm AJo hand

The scene: 2+2 table just a few minutes ago
The suspects: Good players
The hero: A donk [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

This hand may not look very interesting but I feel like there a quite a few things going on here. I'm the ass at the table with 2000 BB behind, and no one knows who I am since I changed my handle a few weeks ago. I have been playing close to the vest, but have been very tricky in the pots that I do enter. For example I coldcalled preflop with QQ, raised a 992 flop HU, bet-called (his check/raise) a turn blank and then raised an ace on the river (he folded to the river raise [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]).

Party .5/1 (6 handed I think)

Folds to CO who limps. I have seen him do it with a lot of hands like K6s so this limp doesn't exactly set off alarms. A Carpal/Tunnel pops it up on the button and I just call with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in the SB. BB calls as does the CO.

Flop (8 SB) - A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

All check to the CO who bets, button raises and I flat call. The BB folds as does the CO who bet the flop.

Turn (6 BB) - 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I lead out and the button thinks a long time before calling.

River (8 BB) - 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I think and lead...

What does he have? What do you think he did? Like/dislike?

There is a lot going on here, and I feel like it is spots like this that you have to understand as you move up since you face these HU situations more.

Cheers,
Brad
Old 08-21-2005, 08:46 PM

Default Re: Hmmm AJo hand

Would a river check/call be good here? That way it would give missed KQ[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] a chance to bet at it, but still only cost you 1BB if villain has something like AQo.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:58 PM

Button could have a wide range of hands really, but i'm going to have to guess a pocket pair of some kind who wanted to get it HU with CO or knew he played junk hands.

he doesn't have a flush draw as why would he fold you out? his KQs is the nut flush and he probably isn't buying outs by the raise. that said, i think he would have reraised again on the turn on your bet with AK/Q.

i wouldn't like a check on the river as no hand less than a paired Ace is probably betting here at all, but small pockets probably will.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:58 PM

All check to the CO who bets, button raises and I flat call. The BB folds as does the CO who bet the flop.

I think you should have 3bet, and you lead the turn.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think you should have 3bet, and you lead the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

you'll fold anyone who knows how to play poker. seeing as OP said "carpal/tunnel", i guess he was to assume a known 2+2er who posts a lot, so hopefully knows how to fold.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:07 PM

Button has something like pocket 9's and folds. There are just too many hands beating him right now. I like it. On the other hand if he raises you here you might be in a tough spot. I'm not sure if you can get away from the hand if he does.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:21 PM

CAP EVERY STREET IF YOU LIKE MONEY.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:16 PM

While you may not be betting/raising aggressively, your play represents a big hand. You basically called 2 cold OOP for the hand, and called 2 cold back on the flop. The sudden bet on the turn seems like you're expecting Button to raise, and you can 3bet him if he had a marginal hand trying for free showdown, and if he caps the turn, you know you're in trouble, since he will only cap better hands based on the way you've played so far.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:24 PM

This hand, for me at least, is a real thinker. I'm probably way off, but anytime that you offer these multiple question hands I try to participate because I learn from you kicking my ass.

I don't think we can narrow his hand range down much from the pfr, because after a bad limper this guy could be raising with alot.

I don't think he'll raise a flush draw and face everyone with two, and I'm unsure why he'd raise a hand that completely missed the flop because he'd likely be behind the limper. So he likely has a legit pair on the flop. Either a PP>5s or an ace. He probably puts you on a flush draw (or a weak ace, if you're unknown) after your cold-call.

I'm unsure if the button thinking for a long time is significant here, but he doesn't believe you have the straight. Plus there aren't any really legitimate 2p hands that you can call pf and flop with. The fact that he's calling knocks a low PP out of his range because he wouldn't want to give you a cheap card. I think that he's still calling with his pair here because he thinks you're bluffing, and is trying to WA/WB you.

On the river, there's not too many losing hands you'll pay off a raise with, excepting your current one (you would pay off here?). Maybe if he has some really high-level thinking he'll put you on a worse ace and raise, but I'm guessing he called and I'm still unsure if you beat his high pocket/lower ace or lost to a higher ace.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:25 PM

I like preflop and flop.

I cant figure out why you would bet the turn though, unless you thought he had a flush draw. It seems more like button is trying to isolate CO with the raise, so i would have put him on a middle pp or an ace.

My line would have been WA/WB and to check/call the turn and bet out on the river.