Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2005, 04:00 AM

Default Re: Limping AA UTG - 10 handed full ring?

trust me ive had a few already

this forum is just pissing me off lately b/c i used to love it so much and its *flushing noise*
Old 07-12-2005, 07:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this forum is just pissing me off lately b/c i used to love it so much and its *flushing noise*

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think he get's it!
Old 07-12-2005, 07:56 AM

there are not enough intelligent posts from experts anymore

sinking ship? [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 07-12-2005, 09:19 AM

I thought the word "occasionally" covered the mix up your play aspect of the post. I get the feeling that you're so busy looking for something to piss and moan about you missed the intention of the post. If anyone thinks mine was a bad post then you have nothing to teach me (or anyone else) about poker. And if you think the post said nothing try reading it sober.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:21 AM

Do really believe my post was non-sense? Could you tell me why. Just curious.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:02 PM

I have struggled to figure out what I "usually" do until I figured out the reason the answer is so difficult. Since I'm going to get AA once every 220 hands that means UTG once every 2200 hands, or five times every 11,000 hands. For me thats going to average around once a month.

My preference is to limp/re-raise as I feel this gives me the best opportunity to get heads-up. I don't have enough PT stats to tell you how effective this is. Whenever I get AA I'm thinking of SSH and "your more likely to win a small pot and lose a big one". I'm always happy with whatever I win because I avoided getting stacked one more time.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:32 PM

I usually limp with big hands UTG, but obviously dependent on stacks sizes and reads. The reraise (if possible) also depends on number of callers and size of the raise. If someone makes it 5xBB and it will be heads-up back to me I am usually thinking check-raise on the flop. If it is 2xBB with 3-4 callers I will make a substantial raise, and give away my hand hoping to play a big pot heads-up or take it down right there. I think that taking 12 or so BB's is just as good as making a standard raise UTG in terms of equity since opponents will put you on such a narrow range anyways (I usually don't play LAG) and play against you only to spike a set. Obviously, you need to become weak-tight post-flop if 7 limpers see the flop.
Old 07-12-2005, 03:03 PM

I think he's angry because too many people are posting in the M/H Stakes Forum who either have no clue what they're talking about or don't even play Mid-High Stakes poker. I think he's got every right to be angry. Some of the information I have read so far in this thread is just plain awful.
Old 07-12-2005, 03:08 PM

Like another poster said, if you are planning on limp-reraising, you should be doing in with other hands. The problem is that if you do this with other hands too often, you're bound to get caught.

I think the optimal strategy for AA UTG is to just raise it your normal raise. Since you're UTG, this will almost always narrow out the field for you whereas if you limp UTG and you don't get a raise, you're not going to have a clue where you're at.

As well, if you raise UTG, there are 9 players left that can repop it. When this happens, the right play is generally to push. If the repop is big enough so that you're both going to be committed after the flop, you can alternatively call and check-raise the flop all-in, since you're going to be OOP unless it was the SB or BB that raised.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:00 AM

I think this about sums up what people have said in the thread.

As mentioned it's pretty rare to get AA UTG, or even in an early position removing the blinds. However, as AA is the most profitable hand there is, I think it merits some consideration. Indeed, perhaps it happens so rarely that I really want to maximize profit when it does happen.

Reraising junk UTG and managing to show it down without being skalped is a tricky move, and one I'm not up for. I may try to hone this skill at a later date! Also, setting people up for a situation that happens so rarely (i.e. unlikely in the current session) doesn't seem like a great plan, so the play itself would have to be +ev. I know there are ways to do this, but you'd better be good at it.

You say just to stick in my "normal raise" ... from 3x - 5x for me ... probably the latter UTG. The problem here is that I rarely raise anything UTG. Also, even though I'm losing EV I really only want at most two callers if I'm going to try and play a big pot OOP.

I wanted to use the table average as a metric for how likely a limp is to be reraised simply because it's an actual figure rather than talking about how the button is very LAGgy.

Also, is there anywhere that gives some examples of what sort of hands various percentages might mean? For example 2% means probably just AA/KK etc. I realise that this can't be absolute, but it could be useful in some situations.