Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2005, 04:06 PM

Default confused by hyper loose tables

I spent about 20hrs over the 4th of July weekend playing 3/6 in Laughlin against a large school of fishy tourists then came home and have been playing the new .50/1 6-max tables on party. They seem to have one thing in common, 50-80% VP$IP. It seems most people here find this type of game to be very lucrative, I don't. I'm break even to a slight winner.

I know I need to make some fundamental adjustment on these hyper loose tables, but I don't know what it is. Value bet, value bet, value bet seems to be a start. I've been tight pre-flop, Folding post flop without a hand or a big draw, and aggressive post flop when my hands hit. Aggressive to build a pot, not to fold people out since that doesn't seem to happen.

The problem, of course, is that even my big hands keep getting drawn out on. For example, (not to turn this into a bad beat whine) KK in early position flops 88x, turns 8, river blanks to get beat by MP1 calling down (never a raise) playing 85o. I understand that I want that type of player at my table, but I guess it seems like when most of the table plays that loose, there are always a few people chasing, and almost always someone hitting a big hand. This is so consistant that the game becomes largely like playing a slot machine.

I know I'm missing something basic here, what is it?
Old 07-11-2005, 04:10 PM

Default Re: confused by hyper loose tables

At tables like these, you need to play 80% of your hands just to keep up.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At tables like these, you need to play 80% of your hands just to keep up.

[/ QUOTE ]

?
Old 07-11-2005, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-11-2005, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know I'm missing something basic here, what is it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it is that this statement is false:

[ QUOTE ]
it seems like when most of the table plays that loose, there are always a few people chasing, and almost always someone hitting a big hand. This is so consistant that the game becomes largely like playing a slot machine.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-11-2005, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing you're missing is an understanding of poker.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
it seems like when most of the table plays that loose, there are always a few people chasing, and almost always someone hitting a big hand. This is so consistant that the game becomes largely like playing a slot machine

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The key this statement being true is that I said, "it seems" and it does seem that way to me. I don't think it actually is like playing a slot machine (well, it is, but only because I'm missing something). The purpose of the post is to state that I'm missing something pretty basic and to attempt to figure out what it is.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The thing you're missing is an understanding of poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK.....I'll accept that, but I was really seeking help, not insults.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
it seems like when most of the table plays that loose, there are always a few people chasing, and almost always someone hitting a big hand. This is so consistant that the game becomes largely like playing a slot machine

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The key this statement being true is that I said, "it seems" and it does seem that way to me. I don't think it actually is like playing a slot machine (well, it is, but only because I'm missing something). The purpose of the post is to state that I'm missing something pretty basic and to attempt to figure out what it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, fine.

it might seem to be the case in the near term, but over a large sample of hands it is not the case.

most likely you didn't play many hands. live games can run about 30 hands per hour. how many hands do we usually look at to perform rudimentary analyses? about 10000. it's very easy to run very well or very poorly in the short term in these games. but over the long haul, proper play will lead to large winnings at loose passive tables. whether KK holds up one or twice or three times in one session is not relevant.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:43 PM

Sorry, I think I missed the sarcasm, Marquis. I couldn't believe that someone with more that 500 posts here would post something like that.