Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2005, 05:02 AM

Default Re: checking behind with the nut flush draw

i often use it in small unraised pots as others have said.

usually in situations just like fitos described when i limp behind with a suited ace against a passive field and decent sized stacks.

in the games i play it is not unusual to see a big pot erupt on the turn and/or river out of nowhere, so building a big pot isn't as necessary as one would think, even with deep stacks.

also, when you do turn the flush, and play it fast and hard, you will rarely get credit for as strong of a hand as you have.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:44 AM

If I'm trying to take down the blinds by openraising say A8s from the button and flop a nut flush draw, I will often check behind vs agressive opponents. This allows you to call a turn bet and try to stack them off on the river.

Obviously it avoids the c/r as well, which is the main reason for doing it.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i have never heard of doing this and thus have never used the play

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you answered your own question. Since everyone "knows" that you would bet the nut flush draw on the flop...checking it once in a while is a good way of getting some bonus action that you might not have received when it comes in since people might just put you on the naked A of trump or a move.

This thread was where Diablo suggested it to me. Garland disbelieved that checking would get more action.... but then
a similar spot came up in Diablo's straight thread. And notice how many people wrote off the possibility of a flush and said to just push in there.