Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2005, 02:22 AM

Default New to 10/20 - bet this river?

Taking a shot at 10/20 after a decent run at 5/10 6 max - getting my ass handed to me so far, -55 BB in a very short time. It's just bad variance, I think, since my W$SD and W$SF numbers are horrible - anyway, the amounts of money seem large to me and I'm quickly losing confidence. Dammit. Should I bet this river? Any other diamond and I bet, but I was afraid only a better hand would call me. Should I have bet and tried to get an ace to call me?

Relevant reads - SB is extremely passive and pretty loose - he will call almost anything down, but not raise without a big hand. He'll fold complete crap on the river. BB is also basically loose with moderate aggression. CO is kinda sLAGy - haven't played many hands with him but I've seen him multitabling and he seemed solid over a limited sample.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $10.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO (poster) checks, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls, BB folds, CO calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks, Button checks.

River: (3.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks, Button checks.

Final Pot: 3.50 BB
Old 06-04-2005, 03:00 AM

Default Re: New to 10/20 - bet this river?

I think bet.

Button likely hands: 9x, flush draw, ace high. He probably calls on the river with a 9 or a flush, maybe even ace high. CO is slightly LAG, he probably would've bet the flop with an 8 or 6.
Old 06-04-2005, 01:07 PM

Why not bet the flop? Aside from the possibility of winning immediately, you want to get rid of Qx.

Bet the river.
Old 06-04-2005, 01:38 PM

Well, with the two players I was against and the not super-scary board, I could guarantee the only way for me to win the hand was to hit something. I'd say I had minimal folding equity. As for the river. . .the amounts of money at 10/20 are a little disconcerting still. It sounds weak, but that's how it is so far. I think I need to take my training bra off and try some more.
Old 06-04-2005, 06:39 PM

You're not betting the flop because of the fold equity of the bet, you are betting for value(you want all 3 to call).

The river is an easy value bet.
Old 06-04-2005, 07:11 PM

The flop is a two-way bet. Zero, two, or three callers are all good for you. Even getting one caller may result in winning the hand later for several different reasons.