Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 05-04-2005, 04:00 PM

Default Re: 5000 Posts and Still Donking

I must be the superdonk then cause I'm raising the turn on both of those with top set.

EDIT: Err top set on one, 2nd set on the other that is..
Old 05-04-2005, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I must be the superdonk then cause I'm raising the turn on both of those with top set.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with this is hands you crush are folding quick and hands that crush you and playing back hard at you.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:02 PM

Yeah you're right. I just scanned both hands before posting and should have looked at the board and action more carefully. Both of these are good for WA/WB.

(I like WA/WB on the second hand even though we're only behind AK. That's probably the single most likely hand for villain to hold; he'll be holding this often enough to make WA/WB correct in this spot as well, I think).
Old 05-04-2005, 04:05 PM

Very interesting post, Shill.

First let me preface this by giving some of my personal slant in general. Many times when I'm OOP HU and I have what I think is the best hand, I need to choose how best to maximize value. One option is to check the river, trying to CR. The problem with this is I'm risking a lot to gain some. If it gets checked through, I'd be pretty upset. I'd much rather have the flop checked through than the river. So to counter this you can just bet the river. But this pretty much kills the action, giving you much less hope of getting 4 bets in on an expensive street. In order to get the best of both worlds, I tend to CR the turn instead. This usually kills the action, but normally the opponent feels stuck to the hand enough so that they will call the CR and call a river bet.

Hand 1: I CR the turn against this opponent. Given the way you played it, I think CRing the river is safer than usual. (Edit: by safer I mean more likely to not whiff. I think we have the best hand here much more than 50% of the time)

Hand 2: I'm much less certian that you have the best hand here against this opponent than in hand 1 against the much tougher opponent. In this case, I'll take the cc/cc/b line, and bet out on the river. I don't want to put 2 bets in on any postflop street. But your hand is good enough that you must call a raise on the river. He could "just" have aces.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:08 PM

WA/WB situation in both hands. Check/call flop/turn, but you need to bet the river.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with this is hands you crush are folding quick and hands that crush you and playing back hard at you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I need to think this through some more.

We called a 3-bet PF. We got wonderfull flops in both cases for our hand. Second only to a flopped boat.

I'd be tempted to do the old "raise to figure out where we are at" although I realize in most instances this is unwise.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:55 PM

Default Thoughts about Hand 1

Given the way it played out, this looks to be an EASY river check/raise. Why?

1) The villian is very aggressive.
2) She probably has a hand worth betting the river with after she bets the turn. If her hand ins't worth betting, it probably isn't worth a call the way the hand went down. So her checking behind might not be that bad since I might not get called by 99 if I bet there.
3) My hand figures to be good in this spot as her most likely hand is AQ or AJ or something along those lines. These hands will both bet and pay off a raise.

So that is what I did. How it all went down in white below.
<font color="white">She 3-bet with aces. I called and lost. </font>

This hand got me thinking about both my weakness as a player and how other players don't adjust to my playing style. A lot of new players will look at this hand and say, "Raise you idiot, you have trips!" I flopped a monster and gave her virtually no action just because she 3-bet me preflop. Had she not 3-bet preflop, I would have been putting in many more bets.

How much merit do you think there is in floating preflop with that hand? Do you think that this is a viable play against someone who will "shutdown" when 3-bet if they hold something like AJo/KJs/AQo/TT...?

Brad
Old 05-04-2005, 05:03 PM

Hand 1 - I think KJo EP us marginal. I think that we are way ahead after this flop and I was thinking, what if you raised on the flop (and didn't get three-bet) then we check the turn as a botched free card play and raise when the she bets the turn. If we raise the flop and then check I definetly think she will bet at it if she is that aggressive. If the flop gets 3-bet I think a check raise on the turn is right, because I think we are way ahead most of the time. But I think a raise somewhere (atleast the turn) should determine where we're at.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:08 PM

Default Re: Thoughts about Hand 1

[ QUOTE ]
Given the way it played out, this looks to be an EASY river check/raise. Why?

1) The villian is very aggressive.
2) She probably has a hand worth betting the river with after she bets the turn. If her hand ins't worth betting, it probably isn't worth a call the way the hand went down. So her checking behind might not be that bad since I might not get called by 99 if I bet there.
3) My hand figures to be good in this spot as her most likely hand is AQ or AJ or something along those lines. These hands will both bet and pay off a raise.

So that is what I did. How it all went down in white below.
<font color="white">She 3-bet with aces. I called and lost. </font>

This hand got me thinking about both my weakness as a player and how other players don't adjust to my playing style. A lot of new players will look at this hand and say, "Raise you idiot, you have trips!" I flopped a monster and gave her virtually no action just because she 3-bet me preflop. Had she not 3-bet preflop, I would have been putting in many more bets.

How much merit do you think there is in floating preflop with that hand? Do you think that this is a viable play against someone who will "shutdown" when 3-bet if they hold something like AJo/KJs/AQo/TT...?

Brad

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this pretty much depends on what she thinks of you, obviously. If she knew you respected her 3-bets and were non-retarded I think there's at least some merit to it.

However she would also run the risk of having you slow down whether she 3-bets or not, (for instance, if you had TT instead of KJ on this flop), so she would just be passing up pre-flop value by simply calling.

I would probably be capable of pulling a stunt like that against you, but I wouldn't do it in this situation unless the players behind me were super tight and or super solid. (Then again, I'm a fancy boy.)
Old 05-04-2005, 05:19 PM

I would raise both the flop and the turn on the first one and see how she reacts.
And I would go to war in the second one as you probably are way ahead and theres only a very small chance you are way behind.