Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2005, 05:55 PM

Default AJo UTG, I get 3-bet - is this line OK?

I used this line without too much thinking while I was playing, but looking back I'm not sure it was such a good idea. No read on opponent, I just sat down and only played 1 orbit so far.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, SB folds.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>. . .intending to fold to a 3-bet. Good? Bad?
Old 05-01-2005, 06:12 PM

Default Re: AJo UTG, I get 3-bet - is this line OK?

Would raising the turn and taking a free showdown be too weak of a play here? He could have KK or a weaker PP, but with no reads I dunno.
Old 05-01-2005, 06:14 PM

I don't think there's any realistic value in the river raise. There's only one worse hand he's paying off with and a lot he's threebetting or calling &amp; winning with.

-Michael
Old 05-01-2005, 06:22 PM

You're probably right - I suppose this also depends on what you think an unknown Party 5/10 6 max will
1) 3-bet out of the BB with
and
2) call a river raise with given the board.

Certainly I would think AA-JJ (maybe lower also) would 3 bet me. I beat half of those, and AA is pretty unlikely here because there's only 2 aces left. AK, AQ, maybe AJ? I'm pretty crushed there. How about KQ, KJ, or even QJ? I'm ahead of those, and probably only KJ folds here. I find that people at 5/10 are pretty eager to pay you off most of the time. I dunno, maybe it's pretty close - what if you knew the opponent was kind of, but not extremely LAG? (since I would probably never fold this against a LAG).
Old 05-01-2005, 10:55 PM

I'm just gonna bump this once because a lot of people seem to be on the forum right now. . .

FWIW, while the guy was betting I really felt like he didn't have an ace. Still, I couldn't be sure. So do other people think my river raise is spewing?
Old 05-01-2005, 11:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm just gonna bump this once because a lot of people seem to be on the forum right now. . .

FWIW, while the guy was betting I really felt like he didn't have an ace. Still, I couldn't be sure. So do other people think my river raise is spewing?

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate it. Just call down. What is the range of hands that he would 3-bet with? You need to have an answer to that question when you consider your line.

Krishan
Old 05-01-2005, 11:16 PM

Well, he's an unknown, and I just sat down. I tend to not give 5/10 players much credit as a default play. Still. . .I think you're right. This probably isn't a +EV play, especially since I was UTG.
Old 05-01-2005, 11:29 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

he's probably not betting the river with a hand you beat, and if he is, he won't pay off a raise
Old 05-01-2005, 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate it. Just call down. What is the range of hands that he would 3-bet with? You need to have an answer to that question when you consider your line.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is so easy. I just read Krishans posts and quote them.

-Mike
Old 05-01-2005, 11:39 PM

Yeah, yeah - I'm an idiot. Anyway, for some reason I had a very strong sense that he didn't have an ace - maybe by the timing of his betting? Anyway, he had KK and MHIG, which just goes to show that I'm stupid, but lucky.