Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 02-04-2005, 07:13 PM

Default Re: andyfox: Expert on War

Yes. I think the exact quote was "WooooHooooo! War is Fun! Let's go kill some Ragheads! WOOOOOO!"

Of course, this just shows what a great General Sherman was, to recognize the threat of ragheads hundreds of years before 9/11.
Old 02-04-2005, 08:05 PM

Default Re: A little help

[ QUOTE ]
He said nothing about raping of killing their women. He talked about men who slapped women because they don't wear veils.

I have never heard any feminist recommend the death penalty for slapping. But judging from your post, I imagine there are people who are in favor of just about anything.

[/ QUOTE ]
I realize he didn't "say" it. But please, let's be honest here. The Taliban basically enslaved the female half of the Afghan population. I suggest you read up on how women were treated pre-Operation Enduring Freedom.
Old 02-04-2005, 09:08 PM

Ahhh yes. If only we can get America back to the "good old days".
Old 02-04-2005, 11:11 PM

Good soldiers dont relish killing.
Old 02-05-2005, 12:23 AM

I think I am going to have to side with the lefties on this one, with one caveat. First off, I dont doubt that there are soldiers that do enjoy the killing. I would even go so far as to say that you need a certain amount of those types if you will. That being said, it is easy to underestimate the satisfaction of engaging in armed combat and coming away the victor, it appeals to our most base instincts. With all that, here are teh reasons this comment really bothers me. One, a top General needs to understand the repercussions of saying something like that. That is strictly the political, pragmatic issue. More importantly, as a leader in the Marine Corps, he needs to be at the forefront of not allowing his Marines to get themselves in the position of beginning to think like this, because this is the sort of mindset that leads to atrocities. By necessity, you must become somewhat desensitized to the violence of the job but at the same time not get consumed by it. Its easier for we aviator types, as it is a lot less impersonal. But really this General had no business saying what he said.
Old 02-05-2005, 02:16 AM

I posted about the Taliban very shortly after 9/11, talking about the horrors of their "administation." What's that got to do with what the man said?
Old 02-05-2005, 03:53 AM

What I said was a poke at hardcore feminism, and, as usually happens on the internet, spiraled out of control. What the man said was probably a little too gung ho. Maybe he got caught up in the moment of trying to inspire his troops? I don't know. But I'm not going to pass judgement on someone keeping me and my family safe.
Old 02-05-2005, 01:21 PM

Default Fata Morgana : American Arrogance

[ QUOTE ]
"Actually it's quite fun to fight them, you know. It's a hell of a hoot. It's fun to shoot some people. I'll be right up there with you. I like brawling."

[/ QUOTE ]

That's America feeling its oats.

America is far, far superior in military strength than anyone else -- and knows it. The arrogance comes from that knowledge. And from the policies that encourage the assertion of that power without any restriction whatsoever (i.e. America refuses to be tied to any commitment whatsoever to laws, treaties or rules).

If the confrtontation was more equal, e.g. WWII, no American officer in his right midn would dare utter such crap. It would be hybris.

To his soldiers first and to Fate second.
Old 02-05-2005, 01:23 PM

I'm not passing judgment on the man. He might be a great and wonderful man who said something objectionable. I don't know whether he's keeping me and my family safe. We're all discussing what he said. I've quoted Eisenhower and Sherman and posted about how Rommel was viewed by his adversaries. Their views were the opposite: that war is a terrible thing and that there is no fun in it. Yet they never shrank from what they saw as their duty and while I'm by no means a military expert, there seems to be a consensus among historians and the general public that they were great generals. It was just shocking to me to hear him say that killing people was fun and a hoot.
Old 02-05-2005, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It was just shocking to me to hear him say that killing people was fun and a hoot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course it was! You don't even own a gun, how could we expect you to understand?