Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2005, 04:59 PM

Default Re: A little help

He said it's fun to shoot them because they slap women around. He said it's a "hoot."

One can understand that evil needs to be eradicated without thinking it's "fun" or a "hoot." The greatest soldiers realized the horrors of war and didn't consider it "fun."
Old 02-04-2005, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Relax, man. They're just towelheads.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen.
Old 02-04-2005, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The greatest soldiers realized the horrors of war and didn't consider it "fun."

[/ QUOTE ]

And you know this to be a fact how? More opinionated nonsense from the left stated as factual rather than as an opinion.
Old 02-04-2005, 05:06 PM

That's not what bothers me. What bothers me is that he finds it fun to kill them. That, in my opinion, is absolutely inhumane.

Me too, guess what, thats why I didnt aspire to being a Marine rifleman.

If what the general said is troubling should we find it troubling that an NFL LB remarks that he likes to "hit" people??

Is violence=killing? Absolutely not.

Is violence a behavior that we as a society have chosen to deem grotesque and usually verboten? Yes it is.

Do we understand the need for violence in specific activities? Yes

.......The logic might not be flawless but it certainly makes alot more sense than most of Cyrus' 4 paragraph numbers.
Old 02-04-2005, 06:08 PM

I would think hardcore feminists would be thanking this guy for killing men who beat/rape/kill their women...
Old 02-04-2005, 06:38 PM

He said nothing about raping of killing their women. He talked about men who slapped women because they don't wear veils.

I have never heard any feminist recommend the death penalty for slapping. But judging from your post, I imagine there are people who are in favor of just about anything.
Old 02-04-2005, 06:41 PM

Default andyfox: Expert on War

Care to enlighten us on your qualifications for making such a statement.... You obviously have never served in the military....
Old 02-04-2005, 07:04 PM

I don't speak for the American left. Opinionated nonsense is in good supply all over the political spectrum, wouldn't you agree?

A quote from Dwight Eisenhower: "Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed. The world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from an iron cross."

Rommel, besides being famous for his grasp of operational tactics and command ability, was described by many as an honourable man who did not commit any war crimes. "While many of his colleagues and peers in the German Army surrendered their honor by collusion with the iniquities of Nazism, Rommel was never defiled." [Michael Walzer, Just and Unjust Wars] He maintained his professionalism as a soldier and observed the rules of war even as he fought. Walzer commented that not only did Rommel fight the war well militarily, he also fought it morally. When Hitler issued the Commando Order on October 28, 1942, which instructed all enemy soldiers encountered behind the German line to be killed at once, it was Rommel who burnt that order. While his colleagues would have complied with that order and taken no prisoners, Rommel had the moral courage to disobey that order and treated all prisoners of war in accordance with the rules of war. He was highly respected by his enemies and not without reason. During the North African Campaign, Rommel often cut the water rations of his troops, so that the prisoners of war could survive. He was tasked to defend the area stretching from Holland to Bordeaux to prevent an Allied invasion in 1943. When the Allies landed in June of 1944, he realized that the war was lost and condoning Hitler’s senseless continuation of it would be an irresponsible act resulting in unnecessary deaths.

What evidence can you provide that the greatest generals considered war "fun"?
Old 02-04-2005, 07:10 PM

Default Re: andyfox: Expert on War

See my response to wake up CALL. Also, a famous quote from General Sherman:

"Cadets of the graduating class, boys I’ve been where you are now and I know just how you feel. It’s entirely natural that there should beat in the breast of every one of you a hope and desire that some day you can use the skill you have acquired here. Suppress it! You don’t know the horrible aspects of war. I’ve been through two wars and I know. I’ve seen cities and homes in ashes. I’ve seen thousands of men lying on the ground, their dead faces looking up at the skies. I tell you, war is hell!"

Perhaps he actually said war is fun and it was misreported.
Old 02-04-2005, 07:11 PM

Do you have any links or proof of opinionated nonsense from the left stated as factual rather than as an opinion?