Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2005, 07:37 PM

Default Re: I really need your help (personal and kinda long /w stats)

I think you're a good poster and probably a good player.

My advice would be to play lower limits for a while. Maybe 2/4 or 1/2 6-max. I don't know how many tables you're playing right now, but if you get up to 4-6 tables, you can even make a decent living at those limits.

Then, when you're ready to move up, give the 5/10 6 max a shot (but make sure you have a huge roll).

Even the best players I know have had a lot of trouble with the full ring 5/10 on Party.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:53 PM

In response.

1. I have really cut back on the FPS and it hasn't really done anything for me.

2. Sometimes I try to make good folds, but I usually just payoff like a shot machine.

3. Yeah the 5/10 game is a bitch but it is what I know and I've done better then breakeven. I've played a lot of hands there and have lots of data. I don't have the bankroll for 5/10 6-max. I honestly don't think I'll do any better at 3/6 but I will give it a shot. I tend to play much worse when I multi-table then when I play just one table. Also, my computer can't handle more then 3 tables at a time.

4. Put a lot of money into the jackpot. I've played just about as many jackpot hands as anyone... [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I will be upset if I make a jackpot hand on a non-BBJ table. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

5. Eh hold'em is tough enough.

6. I really do read the SS/mid high forums all the time. A lot of the hands that I play just aren't very interesting because they are straight forward or me getting outdrawn. Also I'd much rather help out other peoples games' then I would help out my own. In a lot of things I do, I feel the need to give back. It is one thing for me not to play well, but it is flat out wrong for me to give other players shady advice IMO.

I honestly don't know if I can beat the 3/6 game for enough $$. I couldn't before but let's see I'll give it another go for 50k hands and see where it takes me. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Brad
Old 01-13-2005, 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I tend to play much worse when I multi-table then when I play just one table.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is your problem.

Making money playing poker online is all about maximizing your hourly earn. Multitabling is the best way to do that.

Here's my recipe for your success.

1) Drop down to .5/1. No, I'm serious. Drop down to .5/1 and play two tables. When you're ready, add a third table.

2) Get a computer setup that will allow you to see 4 tables with no overlap. Not that hard to accomplish.

3) Add a 4th table of .5/1.

4) Move straight to 2/4, but only start with 2 tables. Add a third when you're ready, etc...

5) Build a ginormous roll

6) Take shots at the 5/10 6 max

POWN
Old 01-13-2005, 08:07 PM

I play mostly 1/2 and what I have read in your posts is great advice for 1/2 and .5/1. I havent played above those limits much on party so I dont know how much it applies at higher limits. I have noticed you make really good reads most of the time on what people have. You definitely should continue to post on low limit games. I havent read through all the other replies so I am probably repeating other people when I say this but my advice is to move down in limits; maybe way down. I have read in your posts that you play mostly 5/10. Sometimes if you drop way down in limits your game improves becuase you play without any fear. Then eventually you can take that same fearless playing style back to your regular limit. GL with whatever you do.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:21 PM

quick answer- very and yes.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Hands: 5003
VPIP: 11.46%
PFR: 6.83%

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, you're card dead.

Your posts have been helpful to everyone in the micros.

You're obviously the only one who can tell if your playing days are over, but I hope not.

bk
Old 01-13-2005, 09:18 PM

Your advice has helped me and it's funny because as I was at the top of your post I was thinking I would let you know I appreciate your help...and then a little further down you asked if it was helpful! So now you know. Thanks.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:45 PM

Brad,

You are incredibly good at giving advice. You have been very helpful to me and I personally would like to thank you.

I look at your numbers and think, "Why the hell is he playing like that?" For someone as knowledgeable as you are and as skillful as you are, you shouldn't be afraid to play more hands. You clearly know when to fold and won't allow yourself to get trapped too often, so why cut all the marginally profitable plays out of your repertoire? When you play that tight your margin is very thin because you're not pushing the edges. Think about it. You're incredibly susceptible to bad streaks and being card dead when you're that tight because you don't play enough to make up for the bad beats and suckouts. My database is full of players who have similar numbers to yours who are only marginal winners. If you throw away every marginal +EV situation that adds up to a HUGE amount of money being left on the table and an anemic winrate. I'm not saying play 20%+ but you have to at least play 14%+.

My guess is that at 5/10 the margins are very small and you have to take advantage of every opportunity you can. I may be way off base but tightening up more wasn't the right adjustment. You should have loosened up! Vary your play more. Don't let the sharks at 5/10 have you so easily pinpointed. Your 17/8/3 numbers were fine you were probably just misapplying some of the SSH concepts. You've been thiking about them for many months now so surely you're more likely to be able to apply them better now. If you can't bring yourself to do this at 5/10 do it at .50/1 until you gain confidence. For chrissakes man gamb00l! You give awesome postflop advice so you clearly have the postflop skills and can make the most out of marginal hands. You seem like you might be playing too scared preflop and that might be indicative of a risk averse personality. That isn't what you want if you're playing poker.

Like everyone else I think you should take some take some time off of 5/10 and perhaps poker in general. Reevaluate you're game and come back with a new computer rig and a LAGier attitude. You should definitely be able to four-table with your skills with very little practice.

Good luck man. I hate to see someone who is so helpful struggle so much.

-Jamie
Old 01-14-2005, 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
6. I really do read the SS/mid high forums all the time. A lot of the hands that I play just aren't very interesting because they are straight forward or me getting outdrawn. Also I'd much rather help out other peoples games' then I would help out my own. In a lot of things I do, I feel the need to give back. It is one thing for me not to play well, but it is flat out wrong for me to give other players shady advice IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

even hands that you think are straight-forward that you win or lose, i think it'd be good to post in small stakes. Hands that I win and lose, I post here and people help me see things in entirely different lights. Sometimes I feel vindicated, sometimes chastised, invariably it's good to get another set of eyes.

trust me, i dig it that you like to lend your voice to micro. i've been the beneficiary many times; but for your own sake, make your home primarily in small-stakes. Doesn't mean you can't lurk micros and course-correct the lost souls here; but you really do need to;

First surround yourself with the folks who can best help you optimize your game and;

Second, help others...no one would ever blame you for doing otherwise.
Old 01-14-2005, 11:19 AM

Hi, Shill. Great post but, for advice on your own stats, like others I agree that you'd be best served by asking more experienced small stakes guys. Not that I'm one, but I do agree with Entity's analysis.

At any rate, regarding the advice that you post here in the micros, I didn't want to be the first to say it because I respect you and all the time you put in here. But I feel that you are advocating a weak-tight style and your advice is generally bad for someone looking to improve their game. Like all weak-tight strategies, it shrinks variance but I don't know if that's what most people on these forums are looking for. Perhaps it's an issue of sample size in that I don't read nearly every post you make here, but I'm almost always struck by how passive you are.

You have a lot more experience than I, so take it for what it's worth. But I certainly appreciate having you here, even if it's only for a differing opinion. There are many ways to beat this game! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]