Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2004, 05:47 AM

Default AKo hand, Please Comment

Comments really are appreciated in this hand. It's not so much for me, but for others who are interested in how to play overcards in this spot. I've gotten a few comments about playing these types of hands.

MP1 is a 25/8/1.8 after 80 hands. All other are assumed to be unknowns. This hand took place a long time ago.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Superhero is UTG+1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Superhero raises</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (10.40 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Superhero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP2 folds, CO calls, BB folds, Superhero calls.

Turn: (8.20 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="green">Superhero??? </font>

Tell me about my turn play here. What should I do? Comments elsewhere are appreciated as well.

Brad
Old 12-31-2004, 06:04 AM

Default Re: AKo hand, Please Comment

I bet out. With a vpip of 25% he most likely isn't that bad of a player. So what would he cold call 2 bets preflop with? Maybe suited broadways? KJs QJs? He could of hit top pair on flop and not have AJ. Of course he could have a pp like KK or QQ as well. Hell, he could have hit a set. All that is beside the point though as now you have TPTK and I think you need to bet out and see where you stand. I may even go so far as 3-bet the turn.

Of course I am an agrressive bastard as everyone knows.
Old 12-31-2004, 06:18 AM

Since villain is only slightly loose and decently aggressive postflop, I put him on AQs or AJs. Villain probably wouldn't call KJ preflop.

I really think he has AJ here, and I'm debating check/calling and bet/calling the turn.

If you bet and he has AQ, you'll probably get raised again. If he has AJ, you'll definitely get raised. The plus side to betting and having him raise is that you might possibly be ahead and his turn raise is presenting CO with a coldcalling opportunity (minor plus).

Ok, I've decided. I bet, call a raise, and check call the river.
Old 12-31-2004, 10:11 AM

Hey shill. I probably bet out. If i get raised, i would really like to believe that i could 3-bet, but since he is telling me i am beat, i would probably call down, and then kick myself later. If i had a read on the player as not being very good, which is different from just sL-AA, i would probably go ahead and three bet the turn. Maybe even checkraise. Eh. its early. Im tired. Need to sleep soon and stop drinking.

peace

john nickle
Old 12-31-2004, 10:34 AM

Brad - thanks for posting this. Big slick is sometimes tough to play and play well!

I'd bet out. He probably has 2 Broadways, but he didn't reraise PF so I don't have him on AA (could have JJ). You have TPTK and there are 8.2BB. You are definitely going to win this hand more than 12% of the time, so bet it boldly!
Old 12-31-2004, 10:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Tell me about my turn play here. What should I do? Comments elsewhere are appreciated as well.

Brad

[/ QUOTE ]

I say you check raise this turn all day, how can you not!? MP1 flexes a little, check to him, make him think he's in control, let him bet. Then let everyone call ONE bet before you show em whats really goin on.. Everyone in between will pretty much have to call the last bet. If you bet and he raises, its much easier for them to fold than put when they havent put in much yet. There is no more perfect trap than this!
Old 12-31-2004, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Brad

[/ QUOTE ]

I say you check raise this turn all day, how can you not!? MP1 flexes a little, check to him, make him think he's in control, let him bet. Then let everyone call ONE bet before you show em whats really goin on.. Everyone in between will pretty much have to call the last bet. If you bet and he raises, its much easier for them to fold than put when they havent put in much yet. There is no more perfect trap than this!

[/ QUOTE ]

Duh, how did I not see that? I totally agree, check raise!
Old 12-31-2004, 11:17 AM

Check-raise. I wouldn't be suprised if MP2 either raised MP1 or bet out in the event MP1 feels he's beat. MP2 could easily have something like AQ and think he just got there. You've got to pump this pot as much as possible now. You had a six-outer, hit it, now it's time to go to war!
Old 12-31-2004, 11:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There is no more perfect trap than this!

[/ QUOTE ]

Except if villain is the type to cold call KQs or AQs etc.. and raise the flop for a free card, in which case it would get checked through.
Old 12-31-2004, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Except if villain is the type to cold call KQs or AQs etc.. and raise the flop for a free card, in which case it would get checked through.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I never said it was foolproof, but I think I see MP1 betting more often than checking. Plus the CO is still in there, he might bet if MP1 tries to buy a river.