Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you call in this situation?
yes 1 3.70%
no 26 96.30%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-14-2004, 01:37 PM

Default 1993 study results

Below are some poll results from a 1993 study that I found on the net.

Old 12-14-2004, 02:14 PM

Default Re: Death Penalty Poll

The innocent man thing is just the dumbest arguement ever for no death penalty. You're addressing the wrong problem. You have issues with our ability to determine guilt so you condemn the penalty. If convicted innocents is the issue, then we need to improve our ability to prove guilt or defend innocence, not change the punishments. It's not the punishment that's the problem.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:28 PM

so in the meantime we will just kill innocent people.

What you are saying would be like not treating the symptoms of someone suffering from say a sinus infection. The have a headache, sore throat and runny nose. Of course, there is no reason to relieve these problems as they are no the cause.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so in the meantime we will just kill innocent people.

[/ QUOTE ]
We don't know that's the case. In this case you're determining there's an illness w/o ANY symptoms, to use your medical analogy. I doubt we'd prescribe chemotherapy to someone w/o knowing they had cancer.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:48 PM

"We don't know that's the case. In this case you're determining there's an illness w/o ANY symptoms, to use your medical analogy"

The symptoms are there- look at Illinois where they put a moratorium on the death penalty as the process was corrupted so badly. There have been signifigant numbers of people on death row who have been released- it stands to reason that some of those who should have been released were not. (in fact if you do a search i am sure you will find a certain number of people who have been proven innocent after they were executed).
Old 12-14-2004, 03:12 PM

Doesn't it cost like 3 times more a year for a death penalty prisoner vs. a non-death penalty prisoner?

I consider myself a fiscal conservative and that is the reason that I'm against the death penalty.
Old 12-14-2004, 04:23 PM

When the punishment cannot be reversed it is a problem.

KJS
Old 12-15-2004, 03:50 PM

Default I\'m in favor of solitary confinement for life

Let's build prisons in Alaska for every murderer in America, and house them 1 to a cell.

Rules:

They're only allowed out of their cells 3 times a week, for one hour, for recreation. One shower a week, and food in their cells 3 times a day, obviously.

This is designed to make them depressed and hopefully they will kill themselves. This is preferable to the death penalty becuase it saves the taxpayers money and you don't run the risk of executing an innocent.

No medication for any reason. No reason to give murderers free medication when people on the outside struggle to afford it.

This is infinitely better than life in prison, because often times lifers in prison get to work out, earn degrees, and have more fun than murderers should be having.

If liberals object to this then they are just hypocrites.
Old 12-15-2004, 04:17 PM

Default Re: Reason for the Poll

The Death Penelty is one of the worst things in our criminal system. We've killed innocent people. THat is unforgivable. If it were perfect I'd be behind it 100%, but if even one innocent person is put to death, that is unacceptable.

Cody
Old 12-15-2004, 04:20 PM

More then that, there was a study in 1999 (I'm sorry I can't remember the name) that found 13 innocent people had been killed. They had later been exhonorated (sp?) of their crime due to new DNA evidence.

Cody