Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 09-25-2004, 01:16 PM

Default AK

Anyone else do this? I'll post results later.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (10 handed)

Hero ($26.70)
SB ($57.95)
BB ($36.60)
UTG ($25)
UTG+1 ($24.95)
UTG+2 ($34.85)
MP1 ($38.60)
MP2 ($12)
MP3 ($82.35)
CO ($23.75)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises to $2</font>, UTG+1 calls $2, UTG+2 calls $2, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls $2, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $26.7 (All-In)</font>
Old 09-25-2004, 01:23 PM

Default Re: AK

Hey 4th, long time no see (ive moved up to 50nl)

I dont like this move. Youre on the button, so id love to see a flop with this hand. With 4 players in the pot before you, you could definatly reraise, but all in? I know youre better than most players at this level, so i think you could outplay them postflop.
Now if UTG is a monkey thats raising (and calling) with all sorts of crap, maybe this is a good play. But I think thats player dependant but no, i wouldnt play it this way most of the time.
Old 09-25-2004, 01:24 PM

with so many callers and no reraise and the fact that you have AK, the odds of any of these callers having AA, KK are probably out. Although party NL25 you never know. Slowplayed AA, KK happens all the time.

I think you are up against some mid pocket pairs and maybe AQ.

So the question is, how likely is someone at your table going to call an all-in with say JJ or TT?

I assume you want to take it down right there.
Old 09-25-2004, 03:35 PM

I just call in this situation. See a flop and outplay these people. People on here write a lot about insane all-in bets or calling all-in with hands like AQ, KQ, or AJ, but the truth is that if you're called, you're extremely likely to be a coinflip at best and in really bad shape at worst. Just as a general rule, I'll raise with AK if not yet raised and call with it to see a flop if it is raised. I'm convinced that, at least in the full ring games, an all-in with AK is not profitable.
Old 09-25-2004, 03:41 PM

I figured with this many people I was probably going to get called by a middle PP or (hopefully) AQ or AJ. I ended up getting lucky and winning the hand.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (10 handed)

Hero ($26.70)
SB ($57.95)
BB ($36.60)
UTG ($25)
UTG+1 ($24.95)
UTG+2 ($34.85)
MP1 ($38.60)
MP2 ($12)
MP3 ($82.35)
CO ($23.75)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises to $2</font>, UTG+1 calls $2, UTG+2 calls $2, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls $2, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $26.7 (All-In)</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls $23 (All-In), UTG+1 calls $22.95 (All-In), UTG+2 folds, MP3 folds.

Flop: ($81.40) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players, 3 all-in)</font>

Turn: ($81.40) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players, 3 all-in)</font>

River: ($81.40) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players, 3 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $81.40

Results in white below: <font color="white">
UTG has 6h 6d (two pair, sixes and fives).
UTG+1 has Qd Th (two pair, tens and fives).
Hero has Ad Kh (two pair, kings and fives).
Outcome: Hero wins $81.40. </font>
Old 09-25-2004, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just call in this situation. See a flop and outplay these people. People on here write a lot about insane all-in bets or calling all-in with hands like AQ, KQ, or AJ, but the truth is that if you're called, you're extremely likely to be a coinflip at best and in really bad shape at worst. Just as a general rule, I'll raise with AK if not yet raised and call with it to see a flop if it is raised. I'm convinced that, at least in the full ring games, an all-in with AK is not profitable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling is fine, but raising all in like this isn't bad. You'd be amazed how often worse hands will call you on Party 25. This is not a recommended play at higher stakes, but I've seen so many all in calls with AQ, KQ, AJ and the like that it will offset the times you are just a coinflip with a PP.

Justin A