Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling

Old 12-25-2005, 10:49 PM

Default Re: Guy brags about having 3 accounts at Poker Stars

[ QUOTE ]
The Party and skins were always amongst the easiest to release bonuses on the net - that's how they overtook Paradise as the No. 1

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong! They overtook them because of a good affiliate system and other marketing.

End of story.
Old 12-25-2005, 11:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Party and skins were always amongst the easiest to release bonuses on the net - that's how they overtook

As of right now Party has 47,662 online and Stars has 43,618.

Party have basically abolished (or is about to) the three reasons a lot of players would pick them over Stars - good bonuses (for casuals), rakeback (for semi-pros/pros) and datamining (for PT users).

And Stars has lower rake I think as they are 'no flop, no drop' and I don't think Party are (I could be wrong on that one).

Anyone else think 3 months for Party to lose No 1 slot is unrealistic?

I just think Party is blowing it - the markets certainly think so judging by how fast their share price has headed south..

[/ QUOTE ]

as others have pointed out, party didnt get be #1 by bonus, but by marketing.

stars player count is grossly overstated as they get a lot of that count from microlimits, that party doesnt have.

and stars doesnt enable datamining, showing showdown hands, etc, without screenscraping aids.

and party is a no flop no drop, as are almost all sites.

im no apologist for party either, but found your arguments to be strange considering stars bonuses are worse, the dont do rakeback and their datamining stance is no different than party's.

but my offer to book any action on your predictions of stars overtaking party still stands.
Old 12-25-2005, 11:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I choose to judge them on what they put forward for me to see.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is perfectly reasonable, but you have to understand that they are making the decisions based on what they see.

They do not care about high volume players for the exact reason mentioned above--high volume players take money out of their little economy. Low volume recreational players just shuffle it around and every time they do Party gets a cut.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well this would seem to refuted some of the things they have done. As I said, there are two options. They are trying to drive away HVP <u>or they are incompetent.</u> The latter seem much more likely. After all they tried to set up a VIP program and it sucked and was poorly planed.

[ QUOTE ]
And Party didn't get to be number 1 by offering bonuses, they got to be number 1 by having the most advertising on TV during the televised poker boom.

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone else said that not me. I don't know how they became number one.

[ QUOTE ]
Make no mistake, Party isn't in it for the long haul. Three months might be a little quick for them to get knocked out of the top spot but sometime within the next year or three it's going to happen.

It's really simple, if your business plan is built for the long term you don't build it on crappy software and monumentally crappy customer service.

[/ QUOTE ]

We're agreed here.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
showing showdown hands,

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're referring to them not showing mucked cards, then you're wrong. PA HUD picks them up from the HH's.

[ QUOTE ]
but found your arguments to be strange considering stars bonuses are worse,

[/ QUOTE ]

Stars bonuses are much more straightforward however. Party occasionally will not let you have some bonus for a seemingly random reason. Like you cashed out last week before the bonus was even announced.

[ QUOTE ]
the dont do rakeback and their datamining stance is no different than party's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but allowing something and then taking it away certainly feels worse to players then just saying "We don't do that here" like stars does. Stars is increasing the reasons to play at their site at the same time Party is decreasing the reasons to on theirs.

[ QUOTE ]
but my offer to book any action on your predictions of stars overtaking party still stands.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's pretty much inevitable IMO. I doubt it will be in 3 months, but continually making poor business decisions will catch up with you. Also, we only see the public [censored] ups. If they're cutting corners in service, they are probably cutting corners else where.
Old 12-26-2005, 01:12 AM

I just wanted to say that at this moment the numbers are

Party - 53,500

Stars - 55,600

That's the first time I have ever, in the past 2 years, seen Stars overtake Party. I'm not sure if it's because of the new VIP program or what, but its very impressive. I still like Party for rakeback and ringgame play, yet at the same time I would rather pay rake to a site that has good customer service and seems to be run well. At the moment I'm still splitting my time, but before I never played Stars at all so they are doing things right at the same time Party is doing everything wrong.
Old 12-26-2005, 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just wanted to say that at this moment the numbers are

Party - 53,500

Stars - 55,600

[/ QUOTE ]

It's happened a few times before that I've heard about.

[ QUOTE ]
I still like Party for rakeback and ringgame play, yet at the same time I would rather pay rake to a site that has good customer service and seems to be run well.

[/ QUOTE ]

At least at the levels I play 3/6 6m and 5/10 6m the rake is lower. So that's a little rakeback right there. If you add that to the VIP program, I think you would get something at least competitive especially for people that plan on getting the supernova fast. Plus PP and RB is sketchy. You're affiliate could get canned and then you'd have to find another one and close your account ect... At Stars the stuff is guaranteed pretty much. Those are just some of the factors I've been thinking about trying to choose between stars and party.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:53 PM

One word: Amen Brother
No, that's two!
Old 12-27-2005, 04:22 PM

Thats cuz stars counts play-money. They aren't overtaking. Not even close.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:04 PM

I declare this thread to be "Conjecture Fest" '06. And it's not even '06 yet.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:21 PM

While Stars player count may get &gt; PP's the game selection at low-mid stakes limit is absolute crap compared to PP. Right now there are like 5 3/6 tables at PP for every one at Stars.

That one fact alone is going to make it impossible for me to move from PP to Stars