Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2005, 05:24 PM

Default Course of Action: Starting Internet poker. Questions..(Long)

Hi, first time poster in this forum. Skip this section if you want, I am basically just describing my background. There are a few essential parts later on however. I am a SSNL holdem player, and have a quirky situation at hand. For the majority of my playing/posting, I was a homegame player, and all experience/whatever came from playing with friends.

I've always wanted to play online, but due to the lack of support from my parents, I could not set it up. I succumbed to the fate of homegames.

Recently, my friend (who played party poker a while back and lost it all) found $20 that party put back into his account. He let me play on it, and in three days, we ran up the roll to a good amount. We kept track of how much we each lost/won, and divided the roll up, essentially sharing accounts.

He lost his share a week later, tilting his last $50 on blackjack. I was left with the account and $280 in it. I have been playing on it for the last month or so.

My initial plan was to talk to my parents over winter break and hopefully gain their approval/etc when setting up an account. I talked to them, and although they did not approve, they realized they could not stop me if I wanted to, and I openly told them I would still probobly play on either my friend's account or my own.

Which brings me to now. I set up a netteller account and put $200 into it. What is the best way to execute this plan? I have the $200 in my netteller and am currently awaiting my money in my friend's account. I want to make the most of a bonus from party, so any advice would be appreciated. Can I transfer the entire thing? A friend said that I could only transfer 1/2 of my netteller account. Also, when should rakeback/pokertracker/all that good stuff be enacted?

Thanks for the replies/comments/etc guys. I'll check back to see if anyone responded [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-18-2005, 05:51 PM

Default Re: Course of Action: Starting Internet poker. Questions..(Long)

For starters, eff your parents. I don't mean that in a mean way, but I take it you're at least legal to play internet poker (18), so you're a man and men make their own decisions. You CANNOT live under the safety blanket of your parents your whole life. You got to live for yourself, and if you enjoy poker, then play.

First thing first for newbies is BANKROLL MANAGEMENT. You have what, $400? Playing NL, you shouldn't be playing over the $25NL tables. They are pretty weak so you should be able to beat them pretty easily if you are any decent. Don't get all hyper to move up limits quickly. This is how bankrolls disappear quickly.

Second, you got another $100 you can spare? You might as well have $500 to deposit into Party to get the full signup bonus. You can take the money out then if you don't feel comfortable with it all in there after you deposit.

Third, being a small stakes player as yourself, you'll get very little from rakeback on Party. My suggestion would be to go over to www.pokersourceonline.com and use them to do Party and get a comp. They have some really cool stuff you can get for free and also have PokerTracker for free if you want that.

Since you are a newbie, I wouldn't say PokerTracker is needed ASAP, but if you want to ever get serious, it is almost a must-need tool.

Picking up some poker books isn't a bad route either if you got some extra cash or get some from grandma for Chirstmas [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Sorry I can't give deeper insight right now as I'm playing, but as away and I'm sure people will help you with your questions.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:05 PM

Also, would I be able to transfer my friend's money from his account onto MY netteller? Does party check the names and such?
Old 12-18-2005, 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, would I be able to transfer my friend's money from his account onto MY netteller? Does party check the names and such?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is where you can get into trouble. Party does not allow shared accounts. They want to see ONE player account linked with ONE neteller account.

Once you start trying to mix / match, you are going to trigger suspicion about money laundering, colluding, violating T&C's, etc.

Open your own account. Get your money from your friend's account from your friend. You can do this through a Party transfer, but you won't be able to withdraw until you've played many hands and convinced Party that you're not just shifting money around -- they frown on this.

Oh...and at least once the idea of your friend dumping chips to you at a 1-on-1 table might enter your mind. That's the ultimate way to trigger the account freeze. Don't do it.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably not a good idea - neither is the player transfer option. Probably the best method is to have your friend request a $200 cashout via cheque, or however suits him, and have him give you $200 in cash.

You can then bank this, add it to your neteller + an extra $100 of your own, and collect the full 20%/$100 signup bonus from Party.

dave.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:36 PM

Why don't you just have your friend cash out the 280 and give it to you to deposit in neteller. The problem with doing an account transfer is that you can't get the bonus for doing this(pretty sure this is the case, not 100%). So essentially you will be getting a 40 dollar bonus for the 200 bucks you deposit, and nothing from the 280 bucks you transfer.

As far as the parents go, buy card player, and Bluff and leave them laying around the house. Watch the WSOP when your in the living room when your parents are around. Eventually one of them will pick up and browse through the articles, or stop to take in a few minutes of the TV broadcasts. Most people that look down on poker are just ignorant and picture some shady baloni like the stuff seen in rounders, or lockstock or something. Several people make income off poker. They pay bills, they pay mortages, they pay taxes from their winnings. If your parents realize this, I'm sure they will loosen up a bit. I think a big fear is that you will rack up debt to dangerous people and drop out of school or something. You can't rack up debt(something alot of people don't understand), so just make sure you keep up with the studies.

It sounds like you want to get serious with playing. So eventually you do want to get PT/PA and get some incentive for playing. The sooner you can get "incentives" the better. Those are free. PT should come when your bankroll can afford it. Alot of new players are not familiar with how bad variance can be, so learning to manage your roll is a big priority. At the stakes you are playing, I think you will always want to be above 500 bucks. So hold off on PT for now.

You want to always have money in more then one place to make sure you can always take advantage of reload bonuses. These are a huge help for people with small bankrolls.

Also, you can clear out your neteller, it doesn't have to be 1/2. So if you get 500 bucks in it, you will be able to deposit all of it into party and get the 100 dollar bonus.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:05 AM

Get the money from your friend, put it on neteller, then make your own account. The faster your friend is out of the picture the better. Dont let him have access to your account, or use his account to cash out. Trust me on this.