Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 12-10-2005, 09:48 AM

Default Ducks

At the time of the hand, only the UTG was known.
This may affect your decision on my play so far.

UTG - 35/4/2.5. I've played 300 hands with him and he hasn't stepped out of line once. The only notes I've got - Won't fold to a turn c/r. Solid ABC postflop. Few loose preflop calls.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG folds, UTG+2 calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (5.75 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, <font color="green"> Hero ? </font>

How's my play so far?
What's my plan for the rest of the hand?
Old 12-10-2005, 11:44 AM

Default Re: Ducks

I started posting a long reply on this hand, and then started double-guessing myself. Now I'm not totally sure what the best play is.

I think you have to weigh the possibilities that you're 1) ahead, 2) behind to a flush, and 3) behind to a higher set. If you're ahead, then obviously capping is the right play. If you're behind to another set, then you're drawing to one out. But set over set happens so infrequently.. and just because of a raise/3-bet on the turn, you can't assume set. It's certainly possible, though. If you're behind to a flush, then you still have ten solid outs to win.

The pot is laying 11.75:2.. slightly below 6:1. That's too big to fold a live ten-out draw. But then there's the small possibility that either of your opponents have a higher set. I just don't know, and I'm confusing myself. In reality, I probably cap this and pray I fill up on the river.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:04 PM

Hi Kwaz folding isn't an option so its between calling and capping. I like calling and donking the river if you improve and check/calling if you don't. This of course assumes that UTG+2 doesn't cap. If he does capp and you improve i think check/raising the river is the best option. Unimpoved on the river after a capped turn is a check and decide. I would overcall for one bet and if it was two bets you have a pretty tough decision to make.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:04 PM

I like your play so far. It's quite likely that one or both of your opponents have hit a flush. However, you have 10 outs to a full house. Call.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:18 PM

I like the play of your hand so far.

I might have considered attempting a check raise on the flop, if I thought that there was a good chance that the preflop raiser would bet.

However, with a 2 flush and possible straight draws on the flop, you would not have wanted the flop to be checked through. So, I think that you would have needed to be confident that UTG+2 would bet if you did attempt the check-raise.

I would call the turn, because you still have 10 outs to improve to a boat or quads. Even if the pot gets capped, I think you will be receiving good enough odds to make calling correct.

Its possible that UTG+2 has an overset of 9's, and that you could still lose if you made a boat, but thats probably only a slim chance.

I would not call the river unimproved, as I expect that you are almost certainly losing to a flush.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:24 PM

Youve played the hand well so far. It definitely looks like your trailing, but I wouldnt even worry about whether you are against a higher set or not, for now just assume you are against an overpair and a flush. What to do on the river depends on who the turn aggressor is. For instance, if you call the 3 bet and the UTG+2 caps which most likely means(AsKs,AsQs,AsJs) then you should checkraise the river if you boat up. But if the UTG+2 just calls the 3 bet, then you should bet out the river if you boat up to trap the UTG+2 player for an extra bet, and your intention is to 3 bet if raised. If youre capped and you lose to a higher set dont worry about it. Also if you dont improve on the river, you still have to make that crying call with your set, no fancy laydowns in this big pot.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:38 PM

calls with 10 outs
Old 12-10-2005, 12:55 PM

Ok, fine, I'll say it. I don't like the preflop call. You've got a known loose caller, follwed by an unknown raiser, and unknown cold-caller (probably pretty bad, but unknown is unknown) followed by you. 6:1 really isn't enough for me to be happy playing a small pair OOP. One more loose limper before the raise, or one more cold-caller after and I'm there, tho, so it's close.

That said, once you flop a set you should either be going for a c/r, expecting a continuation bet from the pfr, or check/call the flop, check/raise a safe turn card, and I'm probably going for the c/r on the flop. Your FE on the flop is zero, and you need to protect on this coordinated board, which doesn't include expecting the pfr to continuation-raise his UI overcards.

The way you played it, ugh, I dunno, call twice on the turn and check/see what happens on the river? Looks to me like you're up against an overpair from UTG+2 and a made flush from MP2. If you boat up, go nuts, if not only call if you're closing the action.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:59 PM

dang, if the pot were bigger.....tough decision. There are 9 ways for the board to pair, which is more like 6-7 if one of these has two pair plus 1 for your quad outs. The action may slowdown at the river, but I may call and figure a cap is coming, and reevaluate on the river.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:37 PM

blind post
I would go for a check raise on that flop, it is quite likely that UTG+2 will bet, and you can gain some value while ahead and squeeze UTG for two cold.
Turn is fine, when it comes 2 back to you I think it is quite likely that at least one of them hit the flush, and you can expect to pay 3 BB to see the river. Since you have 10 outs for a FH and is offered 16:4 (assuming it capped) + nice implied odds. I think it's okay to call.