Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 01:12 AM

Default Re: AK OOP against a PFR question

A84 flop is VERY different than a KQ4 flop, obviously. On the hand you linked, I cringed when villian raised all in on turn. All hero can do is beat AQ or bluff (next to 1% probability of that). On an A84 flop, the AK is MUCH stronger. If villian has AA, pay it off.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:33 AM

generally, if I choose to just call the raise preflop, I c/c a dry flop like that, then either lead or c/c the turn again. If I c/c flop and turn I lead the river a lot of times, just depends on the opponent.
Against most opponents, theres never a need to raise n a board like this, unless they're the type to make "big calls" on the river or they can't get away from TP hands. I would almost never c/r a flop like this since its a WA/WB situation.

I will occasionally on a flop like that, but mostly only against complete calling stations, or against someone good enough to realize that I would probably check AK here. I mean, mixing it up with a lead is fine, but my standard is c/c.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:40 AM

Nope I like the lead. I am not trying to achieve pot control, and am not worried about a re-raise. In fact I want someone to re-raise me, which is why I lead. If he has AA and the case ace came up oh well. Someone will have a lower kicker here more often than they have AA.

AJX is a little different because AJ is a possible holding, so is JJ. I might want to see what the turn card is before going crazy. A queen would suck as now AJ and AQ have you beat. A48 I lead and wait for AQ or whatever to reraise me. You are not holding AJ with a jack high flop here. The pre flop raiser does not have an overpair. You cant go into check call mode on the A48 flop, you want to get money in the pot.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
generally, if I choose to just call the raise preflop, I c/c a dry flop like that, then either lead or c/c the turn again. If I c/c flop and turn I lead the river a lot of times, just depends on the opponent.
Against most opponents, theres never a need to raise n a board like this, unless they're the type to make "big calls" on the river or they can't get away from TP hands. I would almost never c/r a flop like this since its a WA/WB situation.

I will occasionally on a flop like that, but mostly only against complete calling stations, or against someone good enough to realize that I would probably check AK here. I mean, mixing it up with a lead is fine, but my standard is c/c.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is why I dont do that. You start check calling then all of a sudden there is a 3 flush on the board or the middle card pairs and you have killed all the action on a hand you should have made a nice chunk on if the villian has ace with a lower kicker, which is what he has here a lot of the time.
Lastly, your hand is not strong enough to slow play. Let someone stick around and you can lose your stack on the river instead of picking up the pot when you had the chance.