Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2005, 06:25 PM

Default Re: Best wine/champagne for Thanksgiving

We sip only the best "Dom P." 'cause I'm smooth like that.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:35 PM

As mentioned, beaujolais is always a reliable, timely choice. And if the crowd isn't all that into wine, its profile should please.

The extent of the t-day spread should factor into your choice, particularly if there are a significant number of items that have a sweeter side. If this is the case, I would definitely shy away from beaujolais.

For red, personally I dig Grenache or a Rhone style blend that is heavy on Grenache. I tend to stick to France as well. I think that many of the Aussie blends pack a bit too much of a punch for the bird, though some California selections maintain enough restraint.

For white, riesling is a rather standard choice. Here again though, you must consider the sweetness level in the food when matched with the sweetness level in the wine. I really dig Monchoff Spatlese Urziger Wurzgarten. It should be in the low twenties (and its rated 90 by Parker if people care about that kind of thing). It has a subtle sweetness, but I really think that its spice and minerality can nicely contrast various t-day dishes and bring out certain flavors that can be lost (herbs in stuffing for example).
Old 11-21-2005, 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First, and foremost; champagne goes with everything (except chili & tacos)

If you want a great bottle at a budget get a bottle of Montaudon Brut (white label – around $27) – It’s the best blended champagne for under $100 – period. You may have to look around for it. A good second choice is the good old yellow label - Veuve Clicquot Brut. The only caution here is that a lot of discount places stock it and may not keep it in ideal storage so it’s pretty east to get a sour bottle. If they have cases and cases sitting around, watch out.

If you want a fuller champagne, pick up a Montaudon Grande Rosé or a Pommery NV Brut Rosé. ($40- $50)

[/ QUOTE ]

WRONG!

Champagne goes BEST with chili and tacos, you buffoon.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This year's nouveau beaujolais just came out. It's great with thanksgiving dinner and you can sound smart by explaining that it always comes out at this time and it's a good wine that you are supposed to drink young (right after it's released).

[/ QUOTE ]

Picking up a case of this is on my to-do list for tomorrow and we shall make it through a couple bottles on Thursday.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going over to my aunts house in Tacoma this Thanksgiving for my annual visit. I'd like to bring over a nice wine/champagne this year now that I'm legal. The thing is that I know very little to nothing when it comes to this stuff. I need something to go well with turkey, stuffing, etc.. thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

No need to spend a lot of money. Best to bring two bottles, one white and the other red. A basic Chardonnay like Chateau St. Jean 2002 or 2003 is fine. Pinot noir is a good choice for the red. Or screw the turkey and get Sobonne Estates 2002 or 2003 old vine zinfandel. Hard to beat that at 12 bucks, even if it does have a screw cap. I, like a great many people, do not like beaujolais btw.