Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-19-2005, 01:23 PM

Default Re: OOT: I present to you, my elbow.

[ QUOTE ]
You thought you saw the ghost of Sonny Bono, and freaked out so badly you crashed into a tree.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish it was that glamorous.

3 years ago this week I broke up with my girlfriend. I had just paid for a nice weekend getaway under Mount Snow, we were fighting a lot and I hoped the getaway would help us patch things up. She loved horses, and since the skying season hadn't started yet (neither of us had ever skied before) I thought it would be romantic and private. Since we broke up I decided to go it alone.

The morning of the vacation the east coast got hit with it's first major storm of the year, and mount snow was covered in powder. So when I arrived I decided to give skiing a shot, after all what else was I going to do. The whole dam place was a winter wonderland and I wanted to have fun!

So I spent a few hundred on some gear, but I decided to rent the equipment at the training facility on the slopes. Lessons went very well, I was zooming down the slopes in no time. I used to be an avid rollerblader so it was rather natural for me. The only thing they didn't teach me how to do was fall down... which I thought was odd. They discussed how, but we never practiced it.

On my last morning of lessons as we were wrapping up for the day I asked the teacher once again why we never practiced how to fall, he explained that is was insurance reasons. As a team we skied down the bunny hill to the base of the mountain to get lunch together before it was time to head home. We all stop at the bottom, and as I start to say goodbye I lost my balance. As I fell my left arm instinctively reached out to stop my fall, dropping the left ski pole. Unfortunately the pole titanium tip twisted in a way that when my elbow landed on it, I shattered it in 6 places (luckily the elbow might have saved my life, it got in between the pole and my skull). My classmates didn't understand why I was laying on the ground, in fact nobody believed I was hurt at first. The nurse said in all of her years she never saw an injury this bad from someone who was just standing around [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

To make a long story short, the operation was far more painful than the injury. I had to give the innkeeper $500 to drive me back to NYC for surgery, spent 5 days in the hospital (1/2 day on Demerol, 3 days on a morphine drip), and I was out of work for nearly a month.

Fun stuff eh? Its got to be the dumbest thing I have ever done in my entire life.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 11-19-2005, 01:55 PM

Default Re: OOT: I present to you, my elbow.

That'll teach you to break up with your girlfriend. You were cursed the moment you did.