Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 11-09-2005, 03:04 PM

Default Juvenile Justice

How should society deal with Juveniles who commit crimes?

It seems like in recent years we've been hearing more and more about trying a minor as an adult for whatever reason. Is this the system that we want? Is there a reason to have two different systems for justice? What standards/reasons make it appropriate to try a juvenile as an adult? -- do you base it on age, crime committed, maturity, etc??

Interested in people's thoughts. The one reason that is often brought up for trying a juvenile as an adult is that they "committed an adult crime." I don't buy into that one. That's just another way of saying "we want to punish him more."
Old 11-09-2005, 03:08 PM

Default Re: Juvenile Justice

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If they can be determined to comprehend the crime, then treat them like adults.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:46 PM

(Simplistic Observation follows)

Under 21's want to be treated as "adults." They want "what they want, when they want it." Do not understand boundaries. Believe they are "mature" enough to make decisions regarding everything. Make choices based on extremely limited experience and, frequently, extremely limited knowledge. Usually opt for "what feels good." Often are bending to "peer pressure."

(Simplistic Solution follows)

At a very young age, sometime in elementary school, we begin teaching certain "facts of life," as they pertain to crime and punishment. "You do the crime, you do the time," would be stressed. The "Scared Straight" program would be mandatory.

The program would begin with simple things like "shoplifting" and each year would be expanded to more serious crime and harsher punishment. Open discussion would be required.

If, after graduation from HS, a kid breaks a law and gets caught and convicted, he will/would have absolutely no reason/excuse for complaining about his punishment. Nor should anyone else.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(Simplistic Observation follows)

Under 21's want to be treated as "adults." They want "what they want, when they want it." Do not understand boundaries. Believe they are "mature" enough to make decisions regarding everything. Make choices based on extremely limited experience and, frequently, extremely limited knowledge. Usually opt for "what feels good." Often are bending to "peer pressure."

(Simplistic Solution follows)

At a very young age, sometime in elementary school, we begin teaching certain "facts of life," as they pertain to crime and punishment. "You do the crime, you do the time," would be stressed. The "Scared Straight" program would be mandatory.

The program would begin with simple things like "shoplifting" and each year would be expanded to more serious crime and harsher punishment. Open discussion would be required.

If, after graduation from HS, a kid breaks a law and gets caught and convicted, he will/would have absolutely no reason/excuse for complaining about his punishment. Nor should anyone else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless I am wrong, and I am never wrong...

18 is the manditory criminal adult age just like voting. It is just people who commit crimes under the age of 18. Anybody can be charged as a adult even a 2 yr old. It is just a game that proscutors play in order to get the most time possible for the defendent. So anyone that graduated HS and commits a crime is already tried as an adult.

I like you idea anyway...I'll support it.

-Gryph
Old 11-09-2005, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
18 is the manditory criminal adult age just like voting. It is just people who commit crimes under the age of 18. Anybody can be charged as a adult even a 2 yr old. It is just a game that proscutors play in order to get the most time possible for the defendent. So anyone that graduated HS and commits a crime is already tried as an adult.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless I'm wrong (and occasionally it's brought to my attention that I am [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] ), there have been kids less than 18 tried as adults. And (insert previous caveat) the age vs. charge thing varies between states (one of the very few state's rights remaining).

And yes, prosecutors sometimes "play games" with charges to either assure time will be served or a case will probably result in conviction.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We should try to rehabilitate them. Sentences should be flexible enough such that if a kid shows real progress, then he should be set free early enough to live a reasonably normal life. On the other hand, if a 16-year-old goes in to the joint and doesn't get his head straight, we should be happy to keep him in there.

I worked as a legal reporter for a while and saw a 14-year-old who was universally seen as a good kid but fell into a weird funk and committed a (semi-accidental) killing get sentenced to life. That's just stupid.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sadly, I'm not sure there's a good answer to this question.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:51 AM

Thanks for repeating what I said, it was........helpful?
[/sarcasm] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
-Gryph
Old 11-11-2005, 11:33 PM

No clue on this one.

[ QUOTE ]
That's just another way of saying "we want to punish him more."

[/ QUOTE ]
However, a related (at least in my mind) question is, how come we have one of the highest prison populations in the world?
Old 11-12-2005, 12:06 AM

I think the first issue to be addressed is whether or not our judicial system is meant to punish or rehabilitate criminals. If the purpose is solely punishment, I think that adults and children should be treated equally (although certainly housed in separate detention facilities). If, however, the purpose is for rehabilitation, minors and adults should certainly be treated differently, since minors would likely be more receptive to rehabilitation.