Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 11-11-2005, 09:09 PM

Default AK Deep

Opponent is kind of decent, very basic ABc leans to the more weakish. This hand happened a while ago.

Villian has 430 I cover

1-2 Empire

I get dealt AKo
Folded to me in UTG+1
I raise 8
Villian calls in MP1
Everyone else folds

Flop - AKJr
Pot - 18

I bet 15
Villian raises to 55
I raise to 110
Villian calls

Turn - 8

I push

My thoughts

PF - Standard

Flop - First bet is standard, his raise means he's got a hand. I don't know if its a KJ,AQ,AK or something that beats me. I think he would've raised AA,KK pf and most likely JJ. My mini-raise is really intended to see if he wants to push me off my hand. I don't think he's got the stones to push my three-bet without a hand that beats mine. The call is the worst thing I could see happen, because I don't know where I'm at.

Turn - Any bet I make is all in. I really am not that sure where I'm at, so I just shove it in. 4 tens, 3 jacks, 4 queens scare me. There's a chance I get AK to fold, if I was in his spot I'd fold AK and he's tighter than I am. I think KJ probably goes away too, which is bad. So sets stack me, but I think they would've been all in by now. I guess there should be a better way to get value from KJ, but I really feel like this line can fold AK. I'm really confused to what I should care about more with the size of this pot. Right before I pushed I kind of heard David Sklansky saying 'Win The Big Pots Now.'
Old 11-11-2005, 10:04 PM

Default Re: AK Deep

The hand that jumps out at me for villain is JJ. Strong enough to raise your pot-sized lead after a PFR, but not strong enough to push against your 3-bet when you could have AA or KK. You could be against AK/AQ/AJ also, but I don't think any of these (aside from AK) will call your push. QT is out of the question (probably) based on calling preflop and not 4-betting the flop.

Basically, by pushing you chase off the hands that you beat, and get called by the ones you are behind or split with. I'd recommend a bet for 1/2 the pot or so (fold to a raise). If you are ahead, you'll still get called. If not, its no different than before. Then, you can get the rest in on the river.