Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2005, 01:12 AM

Default A Boring Hand

BB is kind of good, but basic ABC player. Hasn't really done anything noticeable. Nothing known on MP or BB.

Stacks
UTG (Me) - 225
MP - 140
SB - 45
BB (Villian) - 145

I get A8 spades utg
I limp
MP raises to 8
SB calls
BB calls
I call

Pot (30)
3s4s10d

Check, Check, I bet 20
Fold Fold Villian Calls

Turn is offsuit 2

Check, I check

River is offsuit 7

Check, I Check

Questions

1. Is flop lead good? If I'm raised I'm probably going to push. I don't think I can get my free card if three players check to the PFR'er.

2. Is turn check good? It's HU and I don't see any hand that got scared by that turn card. I can see three hands that villian holds.
a. Set/Overpair - he's pretty ABC so I'd expect a lead or check-raise here from a big hand, but maybe he's check/calling in hopes to get me to spew some more. I don't want to turn my 12-15 outs into garbage if he c/r's me.
b. Flush draw - Check call and checking turn seems typical of an ABC player with a flush draw here. If he has a flush draw, I want him to get there so I can stack him.
c. Other pair (55,66,77,88,99,A10) - This is something that he's 'looking me up' with.' At the point that he calls on the flop and the turn is a brick, would he fold these hands to a bet? Same as before, I don't want to get blown off a hand that can make a lot of money.

3. Is river check good?
It looks like I can eliminate hand #1 from the list here because he's not going to risk it being checked again when he must be sure his hand is good. Hand #2 doesn't call a bet and my ace high is still good. Hand #3 is checking to snap off a bluff, so why give him money.

Overall comments on the hand and thought process greatly appreciated.
Old 11-05-2005, 01:19 AM

Default Re: A Boring Hand

Given you limped preflop, your postflop play and reasoning looks spot on

You can consider a raise preflop
Old 11-05-2005, 01:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You can consider a raise preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? I'm not challenging, just wondering. I would raise in the last two spots, but not in the first two, unless it's a really tight table.
My reasons for calling: Being out of position when an ace flops sucks, so I want to keep the pot small. I want to encourage mult-way action to get odds to draw, have more people make 2nd best hands.
Old 11-05-2005, 01:48 AM

I do it so my hand is well-conceled, and I have the ability to represent all the best hands. I don't go crazy with an A-high flop though