Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2005, 08:29 PM

Default So I hear you have to learn to play poker now

Coaching services available upon request [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Now that I've got your attention...relax, guys. It isn't the end of the world; at worst, you will either need some tricks to get rakeback from Party, or find a decent volume site (or six) with less rake. Both are available across the Internet, though I suppose now is a good time to brush up on attracting one signup every few months to a custom tracker.

But you *should* learn to play poker anyway. Rakeback or no rakeback, the golden days are going to end eventually.
Old 10-09-2005, 07:35 AM

Default Re: So I hear you have to learn to play poker now

[ QUOTE ]
Coaching services available upon request [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Now that I've got your attention...relax, guys. It isn't the end of the world; at worst, you will either need some tricks to get rakeback from Party, or find a decent volume site (or six) with less rake. Both are available across the Internet, though I suppose now is a good time to brush up on attracting one signup every few months to a custom tracker.

But you *should* learn to play poker anyway. Rakeback or no rakeback, the golden days are going to end eventually.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been thinking for the past hour of opening Cactus Jack's School for the Blind--How to play SNGs with 1500 starting chips. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

I've always wondered what it would be like to be there at the end of the world. Must be something like this.

For the next few days, I may be making a LOT of money as 2+2 pushbots try to figure out why the tactics don't work on PokerStars. Instead of fish and poker players, there will be fish, 2+2 guys and real poker players. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

C'mon, guys, it's not that bad. You might find it's even enjoyable, learning a new game. Sure, you're going to lose a lot of your Party-earned money, your income is going to suck, and your brain is going to hurt, but you'll adjust.

For once, I'm ahead of the parade.

CJ
Old 10-09-2005, 08:01 AM

Eh.. is the 'correct play' at the Stars turbos so different from the play at Party?

The blinds are huge in no time, and then it's just normal pushbotting, and you shouldn't play too lose early, because that will just cost you chips, so you just have to play normally, I think. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-09-2005, 08:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For the next few days, I may be making a LOT of money as 2+2 pushbots try to figure out why the tactics don't work on PokerStars. Instead of fish and poker players, there will be fish, 2+2 guys and real poker players.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are very wrong. The "pushbots" strategies are extrememly effective on Stars turbos too. There's no essential differece between Stars turbos and Partys SNGs. It's all nuances. If you are happy from the fact that you'll have more 2+2 "pushbots" at your table you don't understand this game, no offence. You are not going to take significant money from them, certainly not A LOT of money, even if they're not the best all-around players, and have very little post-flop skills.

As a matter of fact, if only players who are "rakeback-concerned" will make this move, this obviously means that the games on Stars will get tougher than usual, as the ratio fish/no-fish will go down. So I don't quite understand your joy. It is definitely not very good news for Stars' SNG players.
Old 10-09-2005, 09:07 AM

I know, PM. My post was at least partly tongue-in-cheek. Humor with a point. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Frankly, this isn't good news for the poker world in general. Depending on how it shakes out, it could actually spread the Party skins players across many sites. That's probably not a good thing for those of us who play those sites.

I also admit I do not understand poker in the same way you guys do. My game is very different, which I have come to realize over the past couple of weeks here. I do ok with my pathetic abilities, not to the extent you guys do, but I'll take it. I'm not at all a math whiz, as all who know me know very well. But, I am better at other things that come in handy when playing poker. It helps to be both, but very few have that combination.

What delight I may be enjoying is coming from those who are in a tizzy, Chicken Littles who are cognizant of how their world has changed. For them, the sky really is falling. I would feel bad for them, if they weren't the ones who make often display an air of superiority.

No offense taken.

CJ
Old 10-09-2005, 10:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No offense taken.

CJ

[/ QUOTE ]

That's cool.

I realized when writing my reply that there was some chance you were actually joking there, but it wasn't big enough (as I'm not very familiar with your posting history) to make me not repond ... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-09-2005, 10:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No offense taken.

CJ

[/ QUOTE ]

That's cool.

I realized when writing my reply that there was some chance you were actually joking there, but it wasn't big enough (as I'm not very familiar with your posting history) to make me not repond ... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just as opinionated as some and slightly less notorious, only threatened never banned.

CJ
Old 10-09-2005, 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What delight I may be enjoying is coming from those who are in a tizzy, Chicken Littles who are cognizant of how their world has changed. For them, the sky really is falling. I would feel bad for them, if they weren't the ones who make often display an air of superiority.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on Cactus. Dude. Why would you enjoy the finacncial loss that many people on this forum are having to cope with today? These are the people trying to help you with your game. Schadenfreude is a lousy emotion, especially public.

The people feeling shipwrecked by this include the highest-volume, highest-stake players on this forum. I don't know your history, so I apologize if I'm wrong, but I'd bet that many times their "air of superiority" was just them trying to help you understand that push-botting is the mathematically correct way to play in many situations. Let me repeat: they're trying to help you. And now for thanks you're dancing a jig because they just lost a bunch of money.

And even if they were being asses, kicking them while they're down is not exactly golden rule is it? I've read many of your posts and I think you're a good guy, but you're acting like all these people are finally somehow getting what they deserve, and I just don't see it.

belly
Old 10-09-2005, 11:41 AM

Belly, you are correct, sir, and I do humbly apologize. I have behaved badly and am ashamed.

Karma, and now I've put myself into the same position. Not good.

Thanks for pointing it out and giving me a chance to apologize.

CJ
Old 10-09-2005, 01:22 PM

I'm actually really excited about this. Change can be good.