Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2005, 11:33 PM

Default 10/20 - check this turn?

Opponent in this hand is a bad player - 60/10/1 type. He has been pretty consistent about betting when checked to and betting if no one did anything. WtSD around 40%, I think. He tries to be tricky - limping JJ preflop and c/r'ing the turn, for instance. Should I have bet this turn? I checked with the intention of calling any river bet and betting the river if he checked.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 4 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB folds, BB calls.

Turn: (4 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: (4 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 6 BB
Old 09-13-2005, 11:39 PM

Default Re: 10/20 - check this turn?

I wouldn't check this turn. Letting him see a free river card sucks, as he often has a 3 or 4 or small pocket pair or flush draw or straight draw.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:40 PM

If the villian is not passive enough to fold to a turn check raise then I am not going to bet here.

Anyways.... given your read I like a turn check. The villian seems like the type to check raise with any ace here but also bluff the river, so checking is win the most/lose the least scenario. Also bet the river if checked to.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:00 AM

Lately I've been checking behind on the turn more and more in similar spots. Here I would bet though. There are just too many weaker hands and draws he would call with. If you are worried about him checkraising you off the best hand, then call down.

If the board were less draw heavy I would be more willing to take free card. If he calls turn bet river by the way.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:36 AM

Bet the turn, you've made your hand and avoided the heart.