Sweet Mother of God Yes! 66 90.41%
No way, I own this game. 7 9.59%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-24-2005, 03:10 AM

Default Aritifial Intelligence

Old 08-24-2005, 03:13 AM

Default Re: Aritifial Intelligence

the word capability is too vague.

robots can already do things humans can't, but will never be able to do everything humans can.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:54 AM

never say never
Old 08-24-2005, 07:21 AM

Ah a poll about something I know about.

I've a PhD in AI (I [censored] you not) - and a British one - not one of those MSc on steriods things that Americans can hold - and I reckon there'll be things that machines will far outstrip humans in terms of reasoning in the future - but not everything. Anything that can be formalised in symbolic form in some way, they will be ahead and can be relatively closed (finite in action). Anything else, we will be ahead unless/until they can properly couple very sophisticated sensory and 'muscular' kit with neural network type processors, so it can learn from sensory experience rather than being fed info + the ability to transfer this experience to blank units freely without loss. Then we'll be in trouble!

But the guy that said never say never says it best. You never know.

Pertaining to the P-word however, I am sure that, given full access to interview and have the full cooperation of the top experts and get recordings of all the hands in the WSOP etc, I could build a world-class poker playing machine in 2-5 years full time (as long as it could be given the name or a means to uniquely identify each player when it sits down, and when the lineups change).

I could build an online low-limit tourney-beater now without such access in 1 year, full time, I reckon. Ring would take about the same from scratch. And probably a good prototype in 3-4 months.

I think.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:28 AM

Honestly, I have no degree in AI, and flunked calculus, but one time I saw a documentary about a robot from the future, who incidentally looked a lot like Arnold Schwartzennegar, and I came out with mixed feelings.

It seems like the robots are superior and can take over the world, but as long as we have plucky kids on our side, we have a chance.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:48 AM

I have constant nightmares that humans will one day go to far invent a computer that is more powerful than the human mind and can self replicate. these computers will surely take over the world and keep humans as pets or in some bizarre experiment. They will continually breed humans until one day they will go to far and breed a human who is more powerful than the computer mind and can self relpicate these humans will surely take over the world and start building smater and smarter computers and so on and so on

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-24-2005, 07:48 AM

I'm pretty sure they already have robots that can spell "artificial"
Old 08-24-2005, 08:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have constant nightmares that humans will one day go to far invent a computer that is more powerful than the human mind and can self replicate. these computers will surely take over the world and keep humans as pets or in some bizarre experiment. They will continually breed humans until one day they will go to far and breed a human who is more powerful than the computer mind and can self relpicate these humans will surely take over the world and start building smater and smarter computers and so on and so on

[/ QUOTE ]

so you're saying one day a robots dream will be programming a human to bring him a beer?
Old 08-24-2005, 08:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I think that robots were around before humans, placed here by the Zombini Mind Lords, and created humans from apes to do the stuff they couldn't (eg anything that required getting wet, swimming or needing excessive dexterity). We got smarter, overran em, but accidentally sank Atlantis and all evidence of this occurring. Why else are we the only apes good at swimming, answer me that!

So it'd be only right if the robots took over again, and may actually save us all when the Mind Lords return.

I think.

Oh, and 'Intelligent Design' is Science, cos George Bush sez so.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

so you're saying one day a robots dream will be programming a human to bring him a beer?

[/ QUOTE ]

They'll all be playing online p*ker and talk about how someone has programmed a human that can beat the game for millions