Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2005, 02:05 PM

Default Re: Hmmm AJo hand

[ QUOTE ]
"I am the Button." - aK13

[/ QUOTE ]

I was sitting between you and Shillx. How could you be the button? Was it one of the hands I sat out?
Old 08-22-2005, 02:29 PM

An early PF betting range, opened up a little for the light limper, would be:

PP say 7's or better
Axo where x is 10 or better
Axs where x is say 6 or better

Other good SC say J10s or better.

The flop 2bet from button could be many of these hands including the PP, the Axo, Axs, and other club SC's.

As you say the turn call gets rid of the lower PP's and the slowness of his action was probably because he is trying to decide what you cc 2 with on the flop and lead out the turn with. I don't think he believes you have the straight, as given your tight image would you have cc 2 on the flop with a gutshot? If he's got a decent A he's probably now concerned with his kicker; AK or AQ would likely 2 bet here but AJ - A9 would have to think about how much they liked their kicker here.

The turn call getting 7:1 which would be easy to call with a 4-flush but, that gave him pause, makes me think he now has something he marginally likes like the A-10o.

So I do think there is value in betting this river, unless he's tricky enough to bluff-raise with worse hands like A-10 which would really put you in a bad spot.

My guess is he called down with something like A-10. The 5 may have helped you from a blind but very unlikely it helped him.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:14 PM

You played it perfect but can you fold to a turn raise? I think not. River is a must bet. Even if he is planning on raising I think you win a decent amount of the time. He shouldn't need much to be isolating preflop. I think the play was 3 bets preflop though.

-DeathDonkey
Old 08-22-2005, 08:17 PM

Hey Brad you going to update us on this hand?
Old 08-22-2005, 08:22 PM

Default Results

He just called my river bet (and he called fast). He showed A7o and lost. I like the way aK13 played it but I was a little pissed that he didn't raise the river. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I should have bet the flop here. That much is a given. I don't really mind my flop coldcall though a 3-bet might be a better play on this board (since a 3-bet looks more like a draw). All-in-all I like a river bet on this card. If the river were the 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (for example) I probably would have checked with the intention of raising. Still don't know how I feel about it though (told you there is a lot going on here). Thoughts aK13?

Brad
Old 08-22-2005, 08:27 PM

Default Re: Results

Tell me why the coldcall preflop is best. I have decided you didn't play it perfectly after all because of that [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-DeathDonkey
Old 08-22-2005, 08:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am a fish.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP. And your name is pink, which is even weirder.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:34 PM

Default Re: Results

[ QUOTE ]
Tell me why the coldcall preflop is best. I have decided you didn't play it perfectly after all because of that [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that I don't play much limit, I have made it my goal to only try and play well when the flop comes. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-22-2005, 08:48 PM

BTW, Shillx, you used a really weird line on this hand, and I'm thinking if something else might be optimal. I might go for the check-raise and on the turn, since pretty much any hand that button raises preflop and raises on the flop bets the turn IMO. (with the exception possibly of good suited kings). I don't think you are going to fold any other aces by check-raising here either, as he'll likely peel to try to counterfeit/catch a bluff.

The way it worked out CO's bet obviously put you in a bad position. A lot of time I like to just lead the flop straight off and see how the raiser reacts to my lead.

This is just a scramble of thoughts. I don't really like any lines but yours now, except maybe checking the turn to take advantage of aK13's aggression, since you couldn't have known that CO was going to bet the flop.

This is a completely non-standard hand and I'm glad you posted it. Lots of concepts to think about, a good learning tool.