Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2005, 06:01 PM

Default Re: party 2k NL. a turn i\'m not sure i like.

[ QUOTE ]
Sure - If villain has 66 in this spot, he essentially has the nuts. He knows FSU doesn't have AA and he's nearly certain he doesn't have QQ as a lot of players would've re-raised him PF with position in that spot (I probably wouldn't have, but he thinks most players would). So, he's sitting on what he knows to be the best hand, yet any A, Q, J, T, K or heart can look ugly on the turn, so he has to try and get all the money in right here, when he knows he's good.

Make sense?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. My counter point would be that, once FSU makes it 560, a call puts ~1300 in the pot with hardly more than that behind for each player.

A push gives a heart draw with a gutshot barely not enough odds to call, a heart draw makes a reasonably profitable mistake with a call, same with 2 pair, etc.

If he knows Hero will call with a hand that isn't getting odds, while Villian will only get Hero to stack the turn if his draw comes in, a push is clearly correct.

However, there are a whole range of hands where it's probably going to be more profitable for Villian to call the raise with 66 as opposed to 3-betting. Does Villian think Hero would make it 560 with AK? A naked gutshot? I dunno, but I don't think it's open and shut that villian would 3-bet bottom set, or that it would be correct.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:49 PM

Wow can I kill a thread.

I should use my power for good, from now on only I only reply to Vince's threads.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:54 PM

This is a pretty routine turn check, I think.

The alternative is to bet enough on the turn to pot commit yourself, like $1000.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'd bet the turn and call a check-raise all-in. Here is why:

You are ahead almost all of the time here. We have the ace, queen, nine, and six of hearts accounted for. What flush is he supposed to have? KJ/KT/JT/T8/87/75 are the only reasonable flushes. Some of those hands don't look like min-raising hands preflop; others are going to be pushed some percentage of the time on the flop.

His most likely hand is AK, in my opinion. AQ is another possibility, in which case you're freerolling. I wouldn't let those hands off the hook by playing a small pot. The money just isn't deep enough to worry about getting check-raised, especially when you have a ton of outs against a set/flush and when a worse hand (AxKh) might check-raise. Also note that a lot of your potential outs aren't getting you paid by a worse hand on the river if you do hit them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know this is very lazy, but ML4L hit the freakin nail on the head as far as what my thinking was on the hand.

I felt like he could have AxK[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or AQ more than K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J/10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. part of this reason was the speed with which he called pf, there wasnt much thought put into it. from the time i raised, the others folded was maybe 4-5 sec, and he had the call button clicked when it came back to him.

this led me to think a made hand moreso than a draw.
this isnt to say i havent seen big flush+ draws call raises fast on the flop, but i find its more often a made hand being stubborn.

so on the turn, I thought for a good 15 sec, and decided that I think i am ahead a good amount of time here, coupled with outs against everything he could be possibly hold.

i bet $800 or $850, i dont remember which, and he thought for his whole time, and finally folded.

sry the results werent more exciting but when I played this hand, and talked about it afterwards, i felt, hey, i finally played a hand worth talking about!

thanks for all the responses.

fsuplayer
Old 07-26-2005, 02:48 PM

I probably check, and here's why:

1. I've got a draw to a good flush, so I don't so much care if a heart hits the river;
2. If he's got the flush and I check he will probably lead with a small bet on the river that I can call down;
3. If I hit an ace or a queen on the river I am going to get paid off big time if he's already made his flush;
4. I DO NOT WANT TO GET CHECKRERAISED OFF THIS HAND -- this is the main reason I don't bet the turn